'Tis the season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of Better than Bouillon bases, I have several flavors I ordered from Amazon.

The ham base will be used with my New Year's soup of Black Eye Peas and greens.

The mushroom, and also the lobster bases are both wonderful too in addition to the beef and chicken.

Check out the choices..
https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/our-products/
Cool, thanks for posting this. They have more flavors than I realized.

Another vote for Better Than Bouillon.

I'll be using it to make my MIL's spilt pea soup with ham and potatoes utilizing the leftover meat and bone from last night.

There was an awful lot of beautiful, white fat in his ham, so I'll definitely be rendering some when sweating the veggies for the soup.

However, since I'm not allowed to store or freeze and more "weird stuff", I wonder if I could preserve some of the more pure fat in salt and paprika like salo.

Speaking of Better than Bouillon bases, I have several flavors I ordered from Amazon.

The ham base will be used with my New Year's soup of Black Eye Peas and greens.

The mushroom, and also the lobster bases are both wonderful too in addition to the beef and chicken.

Check out the choices..
https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/our-products/
I like the Better than Bouillon. This link is helpful because it lists the ingredients. I guess I won't be buying more. The regular one has soy and the organic one has potato starch. I'm not supposed to have either. :wacko:

Another vote for Better Than Bouillon.

I'll be using it to make my MIL's spilt pea soup with ham and potatoes utilizing the leftover meat and bone from last night.

There was an awful lot of beautiful, white fat in his ham, so I'll definitely be rendering some when sweating the veggies for the soup.

However, since I'm not allowed to store or freeze and more "weird stuff", I wonder if I could preserve some of the more pure fat in salt and paprika like salo.
My fridge and freezer have lots of "weird stuff" too. :ermm: :LOL: But my DH is used to it and actually appreciates it.

Another thanks to Kay for the Better Than Bouillon link!

I too was surprised at how many varieties they have. In my local supermarket, I think they carry maybe 4.

My fridge and freezer have lots of "weird stuff" too. :ermm: :LOL: But my DH is used to it and actually appreciates it.

LOL, my wife appreciates it as well, but indirectly at first.

When she wonders how I made something so good, I sometimes get to refer to the weirdness.

The conversation continues on to something else, and the weirdness gets to freeze another day.

Just don't ask about "best buy" dates. Them's fightin' words.

That's the reason my stock disappears from the fridge...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

No doubt ;)

I just received my ship notification for my Better Than Bouillon order. I can't wait to try the mushroom base. Never had that one before. That would be great in just about any soup, if you're a mushroom lover like I am.

*faint*

That sounds amazing. Do you have a recipe?

Not really, I just use the pan I cooked the omelet in, melt about a tablespoon of butter, add about 1/2 cup water and dissolve 1 tsp of the base into it. Bring to boiling and reduce slightly. S&P as you like, sometimes I add a bit of granulated garlic.

Lots of things I do when cooking are just notions as I am finishing a dish.

Not really, I just use the pan I cooked the omelet in, melt about a tablespoon of butter, add about 1/2 cup water and dissolve 1 tsp of the base into it. Bring to boiling and reduce slightly. S&P as you like, sometimes I add a bit of granulated garlic.

Lots of things I do when cooking are just notions as I am finishing a dish.

I understand that. A lot of the dishes I've made are things that just kind of 'happen' as I'm going along.

Thanks for the tips :)

Open refrigerator, throw everything you can find in a pot, Bam you have soup in the end.

Many times Ill make a " clean out the fridge" soup. ( In our house, I call it the ' Rotten Shelf" soup. The rotten shelf consists of any vegetable Ive only used half of, or something I opened but didn't use it up, or in other words , the things that will most likely rot first, and that I should pay close attention to when cleaning out the fridge. every now and then, something will get away from me)

The biggest problem I have with it, is that Im too busy concentrating more on using up what I have, and not paying much attention to what I am doing until its too late.

Often these are some of my best soups, but by the time I realize how good it tastes, I had already forgotten what I put in, how much of each thing , and the overall process.

You'd think I would have learned after the first few times to start writing these things down, but I guess Im not thats smart :)

I am going grocery shopping next Tuesday. You can bet there will be no Brussels Sprouts on that list. Along with goat cheese, and a few other foods I am not very fond of, but have tried in the past.

I finished up the beef stew. Came across some very large pieces of cook celery. Into the garbage disposal they went. I love celery when it is raw and finely chopped for tuna, egg, etc. salads for sandwich. But cooked??? Never!

I am going grocery shopping next Tuesday. You can bet there will be no Brussels Sprouts on that list. Along with goat cheese, and a few other foods I am not very fond of, but have tried in the past.

I finished up the beef stew. Came across some very large pieces of cook celery. Into the garbage disposal they went. I love celery when it is raw and finely chopped for tuna, egg, etc. salads for sandwich. But cooked??? Never!
I take it you don’t make gumbo, then, Addie?

No. Tasted it once in Texas. I was cured. Of course the first mouthful had a piece of slimy okra.

That is odd, cooked okra that I've had wasn't slimy. There are roux based gumbos with no okra.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom