Tomaato/Basil Bisque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's 34' F. in Denver today. Yesterday, it hit 90'. By Thursday, it's supposed to warm right up again. In any case, today's temperate made my hungry for something hearty, warm, and rich. Into my mind popped, wait for it, Bisque.
This recipe is a hybrid. It is a seafood based sou, but not silky smooth, as i prefer little chunks of tomato in it. It is very satisfying on a day like today. I hope you like the recipe.

Ingredients:
5 roma tomatoes
1/2 lb. unpeeled, raw Tiger Shrimp
1/2 yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs fresh basil chiffenade
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/2 stalk celery, sliced
1/2 tsp. Old Bay (optional)
2 cups water

Place water into a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Peel and devein the shrimp. Wash the shrimp shells and place into the sauce pan with the salt, and celery. Cover and simmer for ten minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking until l the water is reduced by half.

While the peels are simmering, mince peel, and mince the onion and garlic. Dice 2 of the tomatoes and set aside. Quarter the remaining tomatoes. Mince the shrimp.

Remove the lid and simmer until the liquid in the pot equals about 1 cup, strain into a bowl through a fine mesh strainer. Discard the shrimp shells and celery. Add 2 tbs of butter to the pan and again place on the heat. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until the onions are soft. Add the 3 chopped tomatoes, and the broth. Simmer over medium heat for ten minutes. Pour into a blender, or use a hand blender, and blend into a smooth puree. Add back into the pot. Add the shrimp, and basil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season with whit pepper and Old Bay to taste. Serve with crusty, and hot brochette, or garlic bread.

enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom