Tomato Soup, NoDak style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basil
Sriracha

My favorite soup of all time is from The New England Soup Factory in Brookline and Newton. See their website and cookbook. Their soup will blow you away.

Anyway my favorite soup is their tomato, cheddar, habanero. Not too hot and super savory and just a bit sweet.

I'm making my own soon now!

Me too, Taxy, I know I'll have make adjustments, but that is what I like to do. Take a great idea and make it taste like my imagination.

What is baking soda for?

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Cheryl looked it up. It reduces the acidity of the tomatoes and helps prevent it from curdling.

Last edited:
This thread inspired me to make a batch of tomato soup this morning.

I had quite a few veggies on hand so I chopped up a red bell pepper, a carrot, a rib of celery and a small onion. I simmered the vegetables in the chicken stock until tender and buzzed them in the blender. I also buzzed the can of tomatoes and added a half can of tomato paste I had leftover from the kraut casserole. Not sure if I will add dairy to this batch or if I will even bother to reheat it. I may just have it ice cold with a shot of vodka and some freshly ground black pepper! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This thread inspired me to make a batch of tomato soup this morning.

I had quite a few veggies on hand so I chopped up a red bell pepper, a carrot, a rib of celery and a small onion. I simmered the vegetables in the chicken stock until tender and buzzed them in the blender. I also buzzed the can of tomatoes and added a half can of tomato paste I had leftover from the kraut casserole. Not sure if I will add dairy to this batch or if I will even bother to reheat it. I may just have it ice cold with a shot of vodka and some freshly ground black pepper! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

:punk:Great idea! Don't forget the shot of hot sauce and "woooster". :yum:

Okay Dawg. I have been following this thread from the beginning. I read the title as "Tomato Soup, No Dak Style." Three separate words. It just dawned on me. North Dakota Style. No one ever accused me of being right on the ball. Nap time! :angel:

Okay Dawg. I have been following this thread from the beginning. I read the title as "Tomato Soup, No Dak Style." Three separate words. It just dawned on me. North Dakota Style. No one ever accused me of being right on the ball. Nap time! :angel:

No daks were harmed in the making of this soup...

I thought as much, but then why add soda to soup? When a teas spoon of sugar will do the same?

I have no clue, Charlie. Apparently it's been made this way for generations. Maybe because the soda is alkali, and balances out the acid?

Sugar doesn't change the acidity or act as a preservative (unless it's a high concentration like in jam). It just makes it taste sweeter.

This sounds like a lovely simple soup. I have chicken broth in the freezer and may try canning some when my tomatoes come on (safe to pressure can without the baking soda and cream). I usually can a roasted tomato soup, but this one sounds perfect with a nice grilled cheese sandwich on a cold day.

Thanks Bookbrat! It truly was some of the best I've had. Canning it is a great idea.

I'm getting ready to take my copy of the recipe into the kitchen to evaluate what changes to make.

I'll make up some soup and give it a test before addiing the baking soda to see if I can tell the difference after adding the BS.

Back
Top Bottom