Tomato Tortilla Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
I made this soup at work just to see if it would fly...3 gallons barely made it through lunch service.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken broth
One 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped, and their juice
2T ground cumin
1 t Kosher Salt
Juice of 1 lime
4 Flour Tortillas(fajita size), chopped
2 Flour Tortillas(fajita size), cut into small strips and deep-fried, till golden brown
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1c heavy cream

Directions:
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion and crushed red pepper and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cilantro, and the tomatoes and their juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the cumin, salt, lime juice and tortillas and simmer for 2 minutes.

In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Garnish with fried tortilla strips and serve.

Wow, this looks great! I've saved this to my file and forwarded it to a friend in Arizona who will love it, too!

Thanks for posting.

Lee

Here's a very similar recipe given me by a vegetarian friend. I've never fixed it, and yours sounds better, but this recipe has a few differences that you might consider trying as variations.

Artie's Famous Tortilla Soup

2 28 oz cans whole tomatoes
3 onions, coarsly chopped
3 tbls olive oil
1 tbl mustard seed
1 tbl black pepper
2 tbls salt
1/2 tsp Mexican chili powder
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tortillas, flour or corn
1 16 oz bag frozen corn
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream

In a large stock pot, heat the oil, than add cumin, black pepper and mustard seeds. Heat on hight until the mustard seeds start to pop.l (Keep pot covered or they will fly everywhere.)
When the mustard seeds stop popping, add the diced jalapeno, and saute for a minute longer, then add the chopped onions. Stir to coat them with the spice mixture. Once the onions are opaque, add the garlic. Lower the heat and continue to cook until everthing starts to turn golden brown. Add the tomatoes and stir, cooking on medium heat for about 15 minutes. At this point, add 2 cans of water or stock. The soup should be very chunky now, with large onion pieces and the whole tomatoes. Let it cook for another 15 mintes, coming to a rapid boil. Add the salt and reduce heat. Take half of the soup out and puree in a blender, then return to pot immediately. Cut tortillas in thin strips, then dice them into tiny bits. Add to the soup and stir. Add corn and cook on low for antoher 10 minutes. Serve topped with shredded cheddar and a dolllop of sour cream. Serve salsa and hot sauce on the side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom