Vegetable barley soup ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I recently had a vegetable barley soup which tasted pretty good. Definitely a tomato base along with the usuals carrot, onion, celery, potato in addition corn and what looked like to be lima beans. Sure I can throw this together , no problem. Just curious if anyone had a vegetable barley soup recipe or something similar they can share. Ive made mushroom barley before, which is great, but im looking for something less mushroomy and more vegetabely. so, before I create anymore new words, ill let you guys reply

larry

Throw in some chopped greens - kale, spinach - whatever looks freshest. Adds a lot of nutrition and makes the soup prettier!

The beauty in soups and stews is that you can use whatever you have to bolster their volume and/or flavor. I'm making a beef stew tonight and will be using up some eggplant in it. If I was making soup, it would go in there too. If unexpected company shows up, a couple of cans of soup stock and some extra water will take care of that. Creativity is the name of the game.

I'm the only one in my family that likes barley, so I don't get much opportunity to play. I'll be looking forward to the discussion though.

Larry, I made some very good vegetable-barley soup on Thursday. Look at my post #36 to see the basics for what I did. I didn't have any beef stock or I would've used that instead of water. I was out of red wine, but I would have added some if I'd had any.

I love making vegetable soups with beef or chicken. I put in any vegetables I might have. I love vegetable-chicken soup with sliced fresh mushrooms.

As JoeV said, soups allow us to get creative. I throw in whatever might need to be used up or whatever dribs and drabs are taking up space in the freezer. It's not unusual for my soups to be different every tiime.

Back
Top Bottom