Vegetable Beef Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Here is my recipe for vegetable beef soup:

1 beefy soup bone
water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
4 to 5 medium carrots, sliced
pinch of oregano
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 can Italian Stlye Tomatoes
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 beef bouillon cube

Cover the soup bone with water in a heavy 3 quart pan. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Let come to bubbly stage while preparing the vegetables. Turn heat low and add celery, onions, carrots and cabbage. Simmer at least 2 and 1/2 hours, or until the meat on the bone is tender. Remove the bone and bay leaves and cut the meat into bite size pieces. Put the meat back into the soup and add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon cube. Simmer another 30 minutes.

What vegetables or spices do you put in your soup? I am always looking for a TNT vegetable soup recipe.
I see there is a thread for soups back in 2004 but I was wondering if any of our members had some new ideas. Thanks:)

Hi Joann,
my DH loves beef soup, I use :
bone in short ribs
beef broth
zucchini
green beans
cabbage
onions
garlic
chopped parsley
carrots
diced potato
chopped tomatoes
sometimes corn and peas depends
and I also add either some garbanzo beans or red kidney beans
kadesma:)

make mine like yours only I would add some chuck roast and a garlic chopped up.
in summer time i use green, yellow beans summer squash and zucchinni and fresh corn from the garden.
sound good haven't made it in awhile

JoAnn L. said:
Here is my recipe for vegetable beef soup:

1 beefy soup bone
water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 bay leaves
4 to 5 medium carrots, sliced
pinch of oregano
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped cabbage
1 can Italian Stlye Tomatoes
1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 beef bouillon cube

Cover the soup bone with water in a heavy 3 quart pan. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Let come to bubbly stage while preparing the vegetables. Turn heat low and add celery, onions, carrots and cabbage. Simmer at least 2 and 1/2 hours, or until the meat on the bone is tender. Remove the bone and bay leaves and cut the meat into bite size pieces. Put the meat back into the soup and add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon cube. Simmer another 30 minutes.

What vegetables or spices do you put in your soup? I am always looking for a TNT vegetable soup recipe.
I see there is a thread for soups back in 2004 but I was wondering if any of our members had some new ideas. Thanks:)

Great recipe!!

I go one step further by browning a meaty flat shank bone first to get that brown roasted flavor, then I follow with the rest of the recipe.

To go completely from scratch, I get some raw beef bones, roast them in the oven until nicely browned, add rough-cut veggies like onions, carrots and celery - skin on, put them in my big 17-qt. stock pot, add enough cold water
to just cover, add tomato wedges, a boquet garnie, bring to a rolling boil, reduce heat, cover and let it simmer for 8 hours or overnight.

I then drain the stock, wait for it to cool slightly, skim of the fat and I've got
some wonderful beef soup stock!! I then cut up an onion, some celery, add them to the stock, let them cook and add some browned diced cube steak.

Then the frozen veggies go in and the whole thing simmers for a while. Then the potatoes. Adjust seasonings to taste. And you've got the best hoemade soup that you ever had!!!:chef:

~Corey123.

I want to thank all of you. You have given me some great ideas. And I can see I have to get me some more bones. :)

I make mine like this

roast a 3-4 lb chuck roast in one can of Campbells double strength broth, garlic and onion. at 325 for 3-4 hours (or use leftover chuck roast). Cut the beef into chunks and put the entire contents (broth and all) in a soup pot.

Into a large soup pot - I place:
1 bag frozen soup veggies
small head of cabbage, chopped
2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 can of stewed tomatoes
chopped cauliflower or okra (if you like it)
onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
water to cover mixture

Bring to a boil and then simmer on low 2-3 hours. Salt/pepper to taste.

I also add a little bit of barley to it as well.

You can also leave out the meat if you like for a completely lean vegetarian
veggie soup. Just add a little bit of olive oil for flavor. Great for dieters! But for low-carb dieters, use no starch.

~Corey123.

I almost never make my vegetable soup by a recipe - usually it comes from whatever leftover veggies would be good in soup. Also, I brown ground sirloin as the meat. Last week I used a very unusual ingredient for me. I had about 2 cups of leftover augratin potatoes and dropped that in the soup a few minutes before serving. It thickened the soup so well. I've never put cabbage in my soup, but see so many who have that I may try it soon.

I usually never measure anything either when it comes to making soup - any soup. I just eyeball it, as Rachael Ray calls it.

Yes, cabbage can be used, but add it or the diced or cubed potatoes during the last half hour or so, or it will turn into mush.

~Corey123.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom