Vegetable Soup Always...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
It took forever to identify this flavor, many places use it, institutions etc. But they fry tomato paste.

That simple.

Then I have my fun putting in almost any veggie I can find.

Yee haw !

T

Although I dont make soup that way ( though I may try it next time), I had a friend make a tomato sauce where after he fried up the onions and garlic, he tossed a few Tbs of Tomato Paste in he pot and fried it up a bit before adding the tomato base. Definitely adds flavor.

I started doing this several years ago, after seeing it done on a number of ATK and Milk Street shows, and it definitely adds flavor! I have a tube of tomato paste on the door of my fridge at all times, and frequently add it after the onion has browned some, sometimes with spices in the dish, as well, to help "bloom" the flavors.

I started doing this several years ago, after seeing it done on a number of ATK and Milk Street shows, and it definitely adds flavor! I have a tube of tomato paste on the door of my fridge at all times, and frequently add it after the onion has browned some, sometimes with spices in the dish, as well, to help "bloom" the flavors.

I do we exactly the same with the spices.
Frying the tomato paste almost gives it an instant ' sitting on the stove for hours" flavor. ( at least in my opinion it does).

Ditto to all -

don't remember when I started doing it and don't even remember why, must have seen it some place and it made sense.

Have you ever thought about making tomato paste from your abundance of tomatoes? It's easy but time-consuming. After making the paste, I freeze it in ice-cube trays and then store them in zipper-lock bags in the freezer. Each cube is 2 tablespoons.

Have you ever thought about making tomato paste from your abundance of tomatoes? It's easy but time-consuming. After making the paste, I freeze it in ice-cube trays and then store them in zipper-lock bags in the freezer. Each cube is 2 tablespoons.

I actually did that last year.
Its amazing how much it reduces, but really tased good.
Had to do it due to lack of freezer space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom