Vegetarian soup ideas to try out my new Soup pot. Any suggestions ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So for the holidays I got the ' Mother of all soup pots'. Im dying to try it out, but for some bizarre reason, I dont feel like making any of the current soups that i usually make. I dont know why, but I guess im looking for something new.

Being a vegetarian, guidelines include no meat ( beef, poultry,pork,lard, veal, fish...) Including their stocks.

( I do have and use some fake ' chicken' broth ( bouillon ) that I use as a base. Other than meat, Im pretty good at getting around non vegetarian ingredients, so all suggestions are welcome.

Cheese, and other dairy products are fine ( butter, cream, milk)

Soups I usually make, but just not in the mood to make are ( Minestrone, Mushroom barley, pea, vegetable ( tomato based), matzoh Ball, Borcht, vichysoise (sp), Creamy potato/ barley, Ribollita.

I guess Im just looking for new ideas. Recipes or even just suggestions are welcome. I especially like trying things from different regions with new ingredients or flavor profiles Im not familiar with.

My new empty soup pot awaits your ideas :yum:

Thanks in advance,

Larry

Last edited:
How about corn-potato chowder? Or vegetarian based hot and sour soup? What about good ol' cabbage roll soup...made with rice or potatoes, tomatoes, and possibly smoked tofu instead of meat...a friend make's that for when she invites me over for lunch--awesome.

This one won't fill your new pot, it's a cheap and tasty soup that is good in a mug for a quick lunch or in a soup plate for a first course.

Carrot Orange Soup

1 medium onion roughly chopped
¼ cup butter
1 pound of roughly chopped carrots
1 quart of chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small container of frozen orange juice concentrate (NO SUGAR ADDED).
½ cup of heavy whipping cream
Sweat the chopped onion in the butter until translucent, add stock and chopped carrots, cook until tender about 20 minutes, buzz with a stick blender until smooth. Gradually stir in the thawed orange concentrate and taste as you go until you are satisfied with the result. Add the cream to the hot soup just before serving and stir. Adjust seasonings and serve.

This soup can be served chilled with yoghurt or sour cream added instead of the heavy cream.

It is getting harder to find the frozen orange concentrate in my local market so I make it with a pint of chicken stock and a pint of orange juice. I cook the carrots in the stock and then add the orange juice just prior to blending the soup. If you add the orange juice in the beginning it loses its fresh flavor. If you use fresh oranges add the zest from the orange peels for some extra flavor.

This recipe was adapted from a recipe called [FONT=&quot]Pinks carrot[/FONT] and orange [FONT=&quot]soup” from Jane Grigson’s Vegetable Book. I first had the soup in a Toronto restaurant about thirty years ago! It is sort of a different twist on the classic Crecy Soup.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Or vegetarian based hot and sour soup?

Dont even get me started with veg Hot and Sour soup. Ive been trying to make one that compares to a restaurant around here that ive been eating at for 25 years, and I dont even come close. ive literally tried every recipe on the internet, with no success. Whatever Im doing, Im doing it wrong. I literally have about 50 + different Asian ingredients from all my attempts to duplicate the Hot and Sour soup broth. We now refer to my Hot and Sour soup as " Crappy Hot and Sour soup". I got all the physical ingredients right , but its the broth that I just cant duplicate. Ive tasted veg hot and sour soup in just about every East coast china town. Ive also tasted a bunch from vegan Asian restaurants which taste great ( so I know that they aren't sneaking some kind of meat broth in there, even if the others are). I just cant get a good broth. Maybe its the brands of stuff Im using. I suck!!!:(

How about making a vegetable soup using freshly roasted vegetables. Maybe try adding some new (to you) veggies.

Wintertime would be a good time to make a butternut squash soup. I'm thinking some roasted parsnips might be good in that.

Once I made the mistake of leaving out garlic and onion when making split pea soup.
*gasp*

It was completely different and delicious. So just for a new twist, try leaving them out of a favorite soup for a new flavor.

Once I made the mistake of leaving out garlic and onion when making split pea soup.
*gasp*

Thats almost a crime :LOL:

Usually my Split pea consists of whatever sorry vegetables are sitting at the bottom of the veggie bin :yum:.

Ive never done a roasted veggie soup. Ill put that on the list too.

Last edited:
Have you tried Miso for your broth, Larry? white and red?

I have used miso in the past. Im not sure what kind. Actually, Its gotten pushed to the back of the fridge. it amazes me how long that stuff lasts for. Ive had miso soup , itself, at a restaurant , which seems to come out better than what I make at home. Maybe I should experiment with the different kinds of miso.

This one won't fill your new pot, it's a cheap and tasty soup that is good in a mug for a quick lunch or in a soup plate for a first course.

Carrot Orange Soup

Ive always wanted to try this soup. Maybe now is the time. ive also wanted to try a carrot - ginger soup too.

I could eat soups every meal every day.

The red has a stronger flavor, using it as that base might be what you need. Have you made dashi? (without the bonito flakes) It adds a different umami to soups.

How big is that pot?

Here is a general direction, no exact amounts; you can adjust per size of the pot and your taste.

1. Onion diced
2. Carrots shredded or diced
3. Celery diced
4. Red bell pepper diced
5. Potato diced or cubed.
6. Garlic crushed
7. Peas frozen or canned
8. Cauliflower frozen or fresh florets
9. Brussels sprouts, I prefer frozen
10. I use butter, but olive oil is just as good
11. Seasoning of your choice
In the pot heat up the oil, add onion and sauté till just translucent add seasoning. Add bell peppers, celery, carrots, continue to sauté for about 3-5 minutes, add garlic and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
Add your fake chicken stock or even plain water. Add potato. If you are using canned or frozen vegies then wait till potato is almost done and then add the rest of the vegies bring to boil, let it cook till thoroughly heated thru. If using fresh, I’d almost add at the same time as potato. When all done taste and check for seasoning. I like paprika and cayenne pepper, garlic salt and just a little bit of brown sugar. When soup is ready you can serve it as is, or put in blender and puréed. My wife doesn't like Brussels sprouts, but doesn’t mind as long as she cannot see it. Serve. I usually serve with some sour cream, but it is not necessary.

How about mushroom barley using shitakes? Finished with lemon, dill and a dollop of sour cream?

This is my favorite soup and I make it thin - with a clear-ish broth and serve it with crusty bread.

Other ideas:

Lentil w/ potatoes
Greek wedding soup swapping out chicken broth for veg.... You can add some kale and those little dumplings are fun to make.

Ooh! Mushroom wild rice soup! Add a bit of sherry, port, or vermouth, puts it over the top. If you have wild mushrooms, like Hen of the Woods, even better.

I've had success with potato leek soup, it freezes well too.

Last edited:
Hello fellow veg-head!

I like to go international for soups when I need something new. The usual suspects (butternut squash, split pea, tomato, etc.) get kinda played out for me.

Turkish Mercimek. I like to dress it up with a drizzle of mint oil and hot pepper oil at the end.
Borscht.
Pozole.
Indian lentil, not shy with the ghee lol.
Indian chickpea, try it in a pressure cooker for "OMG I didn't know chickpeas were this good" moment

I'd share my veggie Hot & Sour recipe but... it's a secret.
I will say this, have you looked into Cook's Illustrated's recipe for H&S? I started there for my veggie version.

Last edited:
This is one of our veg favorites:

* Exported from MasterCook *

African Sweet Potato Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soups

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 medium red onion -- diced
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 medium sweet potato -- peeled and diced
1 large bell pepper (any color) -- diced
1 jalapeno -- seeded and finely diced
1 can black beans
4 cups veggie broth
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
juice of one lime
1 tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper
chopped cilantro (optional)

Cook the curry paste and cinnamon in oil until fragrant. Add onion, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook until softened.

Add the beans and broth. Heat and mix peanut butter with a half cup of hot broth and add back to soup. Add the red pepper flakes.

Simmer until veggies are tender, about 30 minutes.

Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Season with salt and black pepper. Top with a bit of chopped cilantro if you like.

Back
Top Bottom