What are the best noodles for a soup so that they don't get soggy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resnak

Assistant Cook
I've tried making chicken noodle soup a couple of times and when I eat it fresh it is fine. However, one of the major reasons I make it is to take it to work with me for lunch and every time, when it is time to eat it, the noodles are all soggy. I've only tried storebought egg noodles but I've tried adding only uncooked noodles, adding them as I am separating portions and putting them in the refrigerator, and even waiting until the soup has completely cooled to add the uncooked noodles. None of it has worked.

Any suggestions?

Cook the noodles separately. Then you heat the soup up for lunch and add the cooked noodles to the hot soup.

When cooking the noodles, drain and rinse with cold water then toss with a little oil or butter to coat them and prevent sticking. Then package them in appropriate amounts in plastic bags to go with portions of noodle-less soup for taking to work.

Yea, that would probably work just fine, but I'm also interested in what noodles would hold up better. For instance, in Campbell's Chunky Chicken noodle soup, the noodles sit in the soup the whole time and when I go to eat it the noodles are still firm.
Thank you for the suggestion, that is probably what I will use.

I don't think the shape of the noodle makes that much of a difference. Choose what you like.

I always bought the frozen egg noodles, that cook up big, dense, and thick. They will hold up, but at the same time, they will also soak up most of the liquid when the soup cools.

Andy has the best solution. Cook the noodle separate, and add them after you reheat it. That's how we do it at the club I work, as we make about 3 - 4 gallons of chicken soup at a time, and add the cooked noodles right before it goes out.

I keep my noodles separate too. They warm so quickly that the broth is usually enough poured over them...but if in doubt..I just microwave it 30 seconds.

We do the same with our house soup which is "Broccoli and Cheese". We keep the broccoli separate. Keeps the whole pan from turning that "greenish-orange" color.

If I read the OP correctly, he wants advice on how Campbell's tinned (? not sure if they package it in other ways!) soups can have noodles which have been part of the canning process and then heated up and STILL stay firm :chef:

My answer is that they probably have noodles specially made to withstand long immersion in the liquid....??:cool:

:) I use the No Yolk brand egg noodle I add it at the last 10 minutes of cooking and it holds up well even the next few days for left overs.

Andy M beat me to it - do exactly what he said - the key is to rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process - then add as needed.

:chef: I also cook the noodles separately and then add when heating the soup up. This works well with rice, too - then it doesn't start to get "feathery".

I also agree that rinsing makes all the difference, it also removes access starch that will enhance the thickening and shorten the lifespan of your soup.

If you're worried about how to use up the noodles that don't go into your soup - use them for a pasta as well.

I do believe that the canned soups with noodles in the grocery stores are "enhanced" somewhat. lots of ingredients that end with ..."ates" 'n stuff! Also I would imagine that there is more egg or something comparable in them than flour.

...........I think!:angel:

I've had that problem with my noodles too. Never thought about doing them separately, but I will do that in the future.
Thanks for advice...you all are so smart!

Noodles in Soup

resnak said:
I've tried making chicken noodle soup a couple of times and when I eat it fresh it is fine.

Hi,
One of my specialties is Chicken Corn Soup. I usually have a bag of it in the freezer so it's ready whenever anyone gets sick!

Anyway, I never use egg noodles. Instead I use dried Kluski, if I can find it. If not, I use Acini de Pepe, Ditalini,
Orzo, Pastina or some other small pasta. I cook it right in the broth - not separately from the soup. I tend to like thick soup. I don't find that it gets too mushy, even after freezing & reheating.

Corinne

Another direction might be to use rice in place of the noodles or chow mein noodles, packed separately. Or...make something similar noodle-wise to Lipton's chicken noodle soup (with very small broken up spaghetti). My mom use to add cooked diced potatoes to Lipton's and it was yummy. :)

Last edited:
If you add potatoes I would not freeze it. Potatoes undergo a change in taste and texture that I think is very unpleasant.

purrfectlydevine said:
If you add potatoes I would not freeze it. Potatoes undergo a change in taste and texture that I think is very unpleasant.

Thanks for the tip.:) Think resnak was talking about refrigerating the dish.

resnak said:
adding them as I am separating portions and putting them in the refrigerator, and even waiting until the soup has completely cooled to add the uncooked noodles. None of it has worked.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom