What are your favourite soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
I love eating soups after the holidays just to give my body a break from all the starch and meat we indulged in.

I like tomato soup, mushroom soup, clear veggie soup. onion soup and cabbage broth most.

What do you like?

I love all soup. With my new diet, soup is a way of filling myself up on the limited foods I can eat. I have been having a lot of veggie soups creamed with coconut milk. I also like clear soups that have meat and veggies in them like a good turkey soup after Christmas to use up the carcass and the meat! I made a seafood soup today that was very nice. I love onion soup and make it often.

It's a toss up. My favorites are vegetable with beef soup, split pea w/ ham and Chili. I like to eat, but seldom make-- chicken noodle, french onion and clam chowder. Right now I have several different lentils on hand, so that is probably the soup I will next make. And I have a very full flavor chicken stock in the freezer.

I like chicken noodle soup with lots of garlic, onion, and carrots. Also, vegetarian tortilla soup.

my favourite soups are french onion, split pea with ham, my mom's vegetable beef soup, my mil's chicken noodle, roasted garden veggie with hot dogs, minestrone, both manhattan and new england clam chowders, tom yum gai, miyeok guk (korean sea veggie soup), chinese seaweed eggdrop soup, roast pork yat gaw mein, and japanese onion soup.

boy, this list got a lot longer the more i thought about it. :yum: i never realized how much i like soup.

funny story about the miyeok guk. (i've told it here before, but here goes for newcomers)

i was eating some miyeok guk at work one day when a friend and coworker, mr. choi - who moved here from korea in his early thirties, passed by and commented that he thought it was strange how much i liked korean food.

i kind of knew what was in the soup: various types of sea greens, onions or scallions, sprouts, fish stock, beef stock, garlic, and sesame oil, but i wanted to know the name for it in korean so i could order it in a restaurant someday. so he quickly replied in his heavy accent, "me a gook!"

i stopped for a second, laughed, and i repeated my question, to which he quickly repeated his answer, "me - a - gook!"

everyone in our shop started laughing, and we explained to him what we thought he was saying, at which time he broke down laughing until tears flowed from his eyes.

he finally slowed down his explanation (much like americans speak english slower and louder to people who don't understand english, lol) to say "meeeee YOK <<pause>> gook. the seaweed is miyeok, and soup is guk".

we all had a good laugh, and now when i ask him questions about all things korean, he speaks to me like an american tourist in seoul. :)

Ah a decent soup is good for the soul and so nourishing . Am making my favourite today using left over chicken. I add it to chicken stock, with carrots, parsnips, onions, sweetcorn, and brown rice which thickens it and is so good for you . Can use up other veg hanging around plus herbs but that's my basics for it .

I'm not a big fan of clear "brothy" soups, but will eat pretty much anything else. My favorites are tomato, corn chowder, roasted red pepper, and wild rice with pheasant (yum!).

My father's mother taught me how to make her chicken noodle soup. Backs and necks and a few meaty pieces, carrots, onions and celery simmered all day, while we rolled and cut egg noodles. She showed me how to roll them out thin, dust well with flour, then roll the sheets up to slice into noodles. The noodles were spread out on the table and hung over the backs of chairs to dry, while we strained the broth (and cleaned the flour off the floor and windowsills and counters and . . :LOL:)

The final touch was just a bit of fresh nutmeg grated over each bowl, right before serving.

After she died, I made it often for my father. He is gone now, and I am low-carbing, but just the memory fills me up!

(Low carb or not, that soup is the only thing that fixes a cold!)

I love minestrone the best. Also like tomato, mushroom, onion, turkey or chicken, clam chowder, vegetable chowder, bean and bacon, zuppa toscana ... actually now that I think of it pretty much anything but split pea.

Soup is like a wonder food to me. Very tasty, filling, full of good things and easily paired with bread or salad or baked potato for a really filling meal not to mention it will warm you up on a cold day.

sparrowgrass reminded me of one that i'd forgotten. it's a lamb stew made with necks and shoulder chops called daube provencal. the recipe is from an anthony bourdain cookbook.

I can eat pretty much any soup, but prefer them either on the thick side or loaded with ingredients. However, I don't eat much soup. If I make soup 3x/year that's a lot.

My retired neighbor makes a delicious veggie soup with beef and was kind enough to give me the recipe. In the summertime, I love cold cucumber soup, and seafood soup, bean soup. After the Christmas ham dinner, I used the dandy ham bone for split pea soup, and next week I plan to make another batch of sweet potato with leek soup that I recently discovered. It's really good hot or cold.

On the America's Test Kitchen radio show the other day, one of their hints was that using turkey bones for broth/soup is a great idea but breaking the bones isn't necessary. It doesn't actually add that much flavor -- rather it's the meat remaining on the bones.

I just like soup, I'll eat most anything that can be created. Split pea and ham has to be a favorite.

My absolute favorite is the beef vegetable and barley soup that I make. A little marsala wine completes the soup. I used to make it to take to work for lunches.

Soups I like to make -
chili, Brunswick stew, potato, veggie cheese, peanut
Soups I like to eat but don't make -
tomato, chicken noodle, chicken corn chowder, vegetable beef with barley, egg drop, pasta fagioli, zuppa toscano.

Back
Top Bottom