What can I serve with French Onion Soup ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
... to make it an entree rather than a first course?

Breads and salads come to mind, but was looking for other ideas, with more protein, perhaps.

Lee

hi qsis,
you could make a salad that included protein:
how about a endive and raddichio salad, tossed in evoo and balsamic or your fav italian dressing, with shaved locatelli on top, with slices of proscuitto or bresaola?

or chopped romaine hearts and thin sliced raw red onions, tossed in ranch dressing, sprinkled with sunflower or pumpkin seeds, with herring filets arranged around the rim? (i love this one, yummm herring)

or a spinach salad, thin sliced vidalias, sliced hard boiled eggs, pine nuts, and cubes of chorizo, in a warm lemon/garlic viniagrette.

man am i hungry for a salad....

Welcome, Qsis!

I'm so boring...nothing to add here except to applaud Buckytom's suggestion with salads. That's what I do...beef up the salad.

I think I mentioned it on another post, but I like to make three courses of soups. All you add is some bread or crackers.

Thank you for the quick replies!

I was considering a spinach salad and the one that Buckytom posted looked great.

Or maybe a Salade Nicoise, in keeping with the "French" theme.

Lee

The soup will be quite filling and when I make mine I use a combination of chicken AND beef broth - gives a much smoother flavor IMHO. You can serve some toasted baguette slices (olive oil with garlic rubbed on) topped with a combination of chopped prosciutto, water-packed mozzarella, chopped roasted red pepper, chopped tomato, drizzled with a basil, garlic, kosher salt & olive oil mixture.

This would still make your soup the "focus" but then it would only take a few of these croutons to supplement it for each person.

Geez, I always get carried away with Italian :oops:

You could also do a baguette like above with a slathering of brown mustard or horseradish and a slice of roast beef or London broil.

A salad topped with cucumbers, radishes, tomatoes, roast beef, and blue cheese would be good too. Basic balsamic vinaigrette - balsamic, evoo, Dijon mustard, oregano, blended in processor.

Yes, I always combine chicken and beef stock when making french onion soup. It gives the soup so much more flavor.

I like to add a simple quiche to it to help make it more of a meal.

A good salad would make it a feast!

An entree having fish? Like maybe saute sea bass with some zest. or quiche is nice. I ate that with french oninon soup in a cafe in paris

Back
Top Bottom