What can I serve with White Clam Chowder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am planning to have friends over for clam chowder in a couple of days, and can't think of a good dish to serve with it.It is a hearty soup and probably doesn't require much. Maybe just garlic bread and a light dessert? what do you think?

Lyndalou

What about a green salad, maybe even with homemade dressing? And definitely bread. Fruit would be good too, and definitely dessert.

A nice, crusty bread, the garlic may overpower your chowder flavor. A salad is good, but maybe do as an appetizer so the diner isn't jumbling two plates at a time. (Even seated) Maybe start with a salad, then the soup, then a dessert (brownies!!).

crusty bread, crackers and cheese, fruit plate, veggie tray,

BTW Manhattan or New England? That may dictate what you serve with it.

Soup and salad it is. Salad first, then the soup. I agree that the garlic may overcome the flavor of the chowder, so I'll just do a good crusy bread, as suggested. Brownies would e a good dessert, but I had that the last time they were over 2 weeks ago. May do a crostata. Thanks, everyone.

Lyndalou

I second just serving a nice salad & some crusty bread, plus whatever suits your fancy for dessert. Simple, rustic, & good.

You could always do a compound butter to go with the bread, if you wanted to dress it up a bit. Fresh herbs, maybe?

bread

how about a nice sandwich like ham and cheese in a focacia bread, slightly toasted..or some tortilla chips with a bean dip..

Soup and salad it is. Salad first, then the soup. I agree that the garlic may overcome the flavor of the chowder, so I'll just do a good crusy bread, as suggested. Brownies would e a good dessert, but I had that the last time they were over 2 weeks ago. May do a crostata. Thanks, everyone.

Lyndalou

What about Gingerbread for dessert?

Ooooo...ChefJune, gingerbread sounds lovely! Hey lyndalou, you should do Ishbel's Gingerbread Cake. Its AWESOME. I can't remember what sauce goes on it but I remember everyone really loving it the last time I made it.

jabbur, White clam chowder is New England I think. Manhattan is what my Dad taught me to make.

Last edited:
There are actually three somewhat "traditional" clam chowders, all with their own (sometimes rabid) followers.

New England - which is the cream-based.

Manhattan - which is the tomato-based.

Rhode Island - which is a somewhat clear clam-broth based.

All are terrific in their own ways.

I don't have a TNT recipe that I can post, but if you do a websearch on "Rhode Island Clam Chowder", you'll get a wealth of recipes, all pretty similar. It's pretty much a clear clam-broth based chowder. Think New England &/or Manhattan without the cream &/or tomatoes.

Although many of the Rhode Island Clam Chowder recipes call for serving pitchers of warm milk alongside for folks to add to taste.

It's definitely a nice soup, & a nice change from the usual New England & Manhattan clam soups.

I would have some crusty bread with it, but I'd avoid cheese - cheese and seafood don't mix. Cheese makes seafood taste sour. Some rules are meant to be broken... this isn't one of them! :wacko:

At the most, a leafy salad, light on the dressing, so you don't mask the flavor of the clams.

Enjoy!!! :)

I agree on the no-cheese, just tear into a hunk of artisnal-type bread (NYT), sop up the broth...mmmm.

I wouldn't want to be distracted by a salad.

I would have some crusty bread with it, but I'd avoid cheese - cheese and seafood don't mix. Cheese makes seafood taste sour. Some rules are meant to be broken... this isn't one of them! :wacko:

Now you see, I completely disagree with this. Cooking - & eating - is all about personal taste, & this is just your opinion, not a strict rule. Yes, yes, I know - traditionally Italians do not use cheese as a condiment for seafood pasta dishes. But plenty of people do enjoy it - even Italians. It's not a travesty.

I happen to love some good imported parmesan grated on my "Calamari over Linguine" or with my "Spinach Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce". There's absolutely nothing "sour" about it.:chef:

Breezy, the way I took Selkies post was that she was implying that this is a rule for her. She said "I would have some crusty bread with it, but I'd avoid cheese". She was not saying that this is anything other than her opinion.

Back
Top Bottom