Whats your favorite soup to make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Fall is approaching and I love to sit down to a bowl of steamy soup on chilly days.
I'd love to expand my soup recipe collection.......anyone care to share their recipe for their favorite(s).

Thanks
SizzlininIN

one of my favorite fall soups is "irish 2 potato soup". i found a similar recipe called portugese kale and potato soup which used chorizo instead of ham. i liked the chorizo better, so here's my recipe for "irish/portugese 2 potato soup. (the amounts and times are approximate. i need to write stuff down when i cook)

5 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
2 1/2 cups diced onions
3 cups sliced carrots
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound russet (baking) potatoes (about 2 large)
8 cups chicken broth
2 pounds chorizo, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 pound kale, stems discarded and the leaves washed well, spun dry, and shredded thin (about 10 cups packed)
1 pound red potatoes

In a kettle cook the garlic, the onions, and the carrot in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened. Add the russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, the broth, and enough water to cover, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. While the potatoes are cooking, in a skillet cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring, until it is lightly browned. With a slotted spoon transfer the cooked potatoes to a blender, add about 2 cups of the cooking liquid and purée the mixture until it is smooth. Stir the purée into the broth mixture, add the chorizo, the kale, the red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces, and salt and pepper to taste, and simmer the soup, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

My all-time favorite is...

French Onion Soup

10 Vidalia or red onions
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white wine
1 ¼ cups of canned beef consume (10 oz)
1 ¼ cups of good homemade chicken broth
1 ¼ cups of unfiltered apple cider
bouquet garni of thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley
1 loaf of country style bread
salt
ground black pepper
splash of Laphroaig scotch (optional)
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

Slice the onions into half rings. In a large cast iron skillet, preheated over medium heat, place the butter and melt, then add a third of the onions and sprinkle with salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. (This takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.)

Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. (I recommend you drink any remaining wine…)

Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.

Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute, or until toasted.

Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and scotch. Ladle the soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip of the bowl. Into each bowl, place a bread round (toasted side down) on top of the soup and top the bread generously with grated gruyere. Return to the broiler and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

My favorite soup is oxtail, made by my mother in her pressure cooker. With it being a tat on the cold side in MN in the winter, I like 'most every soup I personally make, but vegetable beef, clam chowder, mushroom, French onion and chicken noodle would lead the list. Gotta have 'em with lots of saltines. My wife lives on potato soup.

Gotta try Audeo's FO soup, and will follow her recommendations religiously. I put a recipe for Taco Soup in the Soup category yesterday that is really good. Another one I like is potato and leek soup. Recipe is from Barbara Kafka's book, Soup - A Way of Life (recommended). She has hot and cold versions of this; below is the hot version.

1-1/2 pounds mashing potatoes, cubed
4 medium leeks, white and 1-inch of pale green part only
4 cups chicken stock (recipe elsewhere in book) or commercial chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Bring potatoes, leeks, and stock to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
In a blender, working in batches of no more than 2 cups, puree the soup or pass everything thru the fine disc of a food mill. [or, you could use an immersion blender - mud]
Return the soup to pot, stir in cream, and heat through. Season with salt and pepper. [I also like crumbled bacon for a garnish - mud]

another one of my favs is zuppa di escarole e fagiole (escarole and bean soup). it's super simple and fast to make. also good for vegetarians. again, everything is approximate.

3 heads of escarole, washed, stems discarded, chopped into large pieces
1 head of garlic (yes head, not just a clove) smashed and chopped
3 large onions, roughly diced
1 1/2 lbs of cannelini beans (or any white bean), soaked overnight, or 2 large cans of beans, drianed and rinsed.
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/8 cup light olive oil
s & p to taste
a hunk o' parmesano reggiano
a few crusty baguettes

in a soup pot, brown the onions and garlic in olive oil. add the stock and beans, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the beans begin to soften. canned beans will soften much more quickly than re-hydrated ones, but doesn't taste as good imo. add the escarole, and simmer until tender. ladel into soup bowls, and top with parmesan shavings, don't be shy with the cheese. add s&p to taste. serve with a warm, crusty baguette.

I love making all kinds of soup... especially cream soups and FRENCH ONION... sounds good Audeo..

Hey, speaking of soup... buckytom, did you ever make that gumbo.. curious as to how it turned out.

Ooohhh...gumbo! How about some Chicken Andouille Gumbo that has been slow-cooking on the stove all day? Over rice with file'!

I GARONTEE!!!

I remember that cook...ughhhhh.. what was his name? here I go again.. can't think of someone's name... ahhhhhh his first name was Justin...

LOLOL.. well, I didn't know all the details.. but I loved his cooking..and he wore a blue shirt and bright suspenders.

Audeo said:
Justin Wilson....aging Cajun with a thousand young wives.
Sounds like you and Juliev don't like him much, but I enjoyed his show. Actually he was more of a Cajun humorist than cook--an uncle has all of his records. He also died a couple of years ago, I believe.

no.. I didn't say I didn't like him.. I love his show.. my grandma got me hooked on his show.. along with julia child, the frugal gourmet..etc.. I think I owe it to her that I love cooking.. I was watching cooking shows at a very young age.

I just said I didn't know the details of his personal life.. that doesn't matter to me..

I loved Justin Wilson! Actually went to LaPlace to see him cook once, too. What a blast! He was also Grand Marshall of the Christmas Parade in Natchitoches, LA in about 78(?) and I was thrilled to get his autograph on two cookbooks that I cherish to this day! Of course, he got off a good pinch to my derierre after the second autograph.....

What a toot he was!

lol, audeo, good thing it was 1978. he'd get arrested for assault for goosing women today. i'd galrontee-it!!!!

Yeah he was. I also loved how he would explain how many people his recipes would feed - "About 2 Cajuns and 12 regular people." Do you have his recipe for smothered potatoes?

I loved it when he said, "I guarantee............"! I truely loved watching him but unfort. I didn't get to see his show as often as I would of loved to. He always made me smile :D .

SizzlininIN

mudbug, I can’t find “Smothered Potatoes” in either of the two books, but I think this one comes pretty close and fits the Justin Wilson definition of “smothered”:

From The Justin Wilson Cookbook, c. 1965; pp. 77 (without any editing):

Irish Potatoes Au Gratin Au Vin

6 or 8 large potatoes
olive oil
6 or 8 large onions
1 cup sauterne wine
red ground cayenne pepper
salt
3 cups grated American and Parmesan or Romano cheese

Cover bottom of casserole with olive oil and rub sides with it. Place in casserole a layer of sliced potatoes, then a layer of sliced onions, and a layer of cheese. Use at least two different types of cheese mixed together. Sprinkle each layer with salt and red pepper to taste. Repeat until casserole is full. Pour wine over the whole mess and bake in oven at about 375 degrees.

Justin didn’t say in the recipe how long to cook the potatoes….must have been too much extra sauterne! However, following the recipe was this statement:

“Here’s where you’ nose come in handy. When you mixes that wine wit’ them egg, you gonna know it’s right when the mixture done smell jus’ like eggnog at Chris’mus time. But don’ drink it, no, you! Put it in the recipe, jus’ like I tol’ you.”

There will never be another like him…on TV, at least.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom