Which is your favorite tortilla soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I have a couple of tortilla soup recipes. One calls for chicken, lots of veggies, including corn, spices, corn flour for thickening and crispy tortilla slices. The other recipe I have calls for ground beef, creamed corn, and veggies topped with crispy tortilla slices and avocado slices and cheddar. I'm wondering if anyone has anything different that you consider totally out of this world? I'm planning on tweaking these recipes a bit to see what other soup I can come up with. Which is your favorite tortilla soup?

Dina

Someone on here gave me a fabulous recipe for this and that persons name escapes me. It's a chicken stock base, with tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, and more, but the key to this "recipe" was the homemade strips of tortilla, sauteed in oil, then placed on the soup..which then make this fabulous bubbling. Claim the recipe whoever gave it to me. My husband hates soup, but this was a keeper for him and me too.

Yes Amber! Mine has tortilla strips fried in oil then tossed in the soup while it's hot. I also make the chicken stock for it and add lots of spicy peppers. If you find the recipe, would you please post it here?

I loooove spicy tortilla soup! Mine starts out with 4 cups chicken stock, 1 each of red, green, and yellow bell pepper, sliced thin; 1 onion, sliced; corn, 1 can of undrained ro-tel, garlic, 1 chipotle pepper mashed, parsley or cilantro, red pepper flakes, pepper, splash of lime, sometimes black beans, and also the fried corn tortillas, topped with a sprinkling of cheese and a little sour cream to cool it off. Add chicken for a meal! yum yum!

I have seen thick and thin versions of tortilla soup, also, but prefer the lighter, brothy version.

Gee guys! You all have great tortilla soup recipes. I made mine today and it's quite spicy and delicious. I made the chicken stock last night and finished the soup today. Here's my recipe:

Dina's Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 Tbsp canola oil
1 green bell pepper, choppped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced

2 large chopped (peeled) tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp Dina's Southern spice mix
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

1 whole chicken, cooked, cut in pieces
6 cups Chicken stock
1 can creamed corn
1/2 c corn flour mixed with 1/2 cup water (Maseca brand) - thickening agent

Garnishes:
grated cheddar cheese
sliced avocadoes
sour cream
chopped fresh cilantro
6 corn tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried

white cooked rice
hot sauce of choice, optional

Sautee onions and bell peppers in oil for about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for ONLY one minute. (Overcooking garlic will turn bitter.) Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings, chicken, stock and creamed corn. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add the corn flour & water mixture as a thickening agent and simmer for another 10 minutes to cook the flour. Garnish bottom of serving bowls with cheddar cheese and avocadoes. Add soup and top with strips of tortillas, fresh cilantro and sour cream. Serve with a side of white rice or toss in the soup. So Yummy!

It's nice and cool out so this hot, delicious soup goes down perfectly with our weather. Now if I can only relax and watch a good movie. Got to get back to the laundry and house cleaning. Argh!

Enjoy!

Dina

Last edited:
Alix,
Here's the recipe for my spice mix. Let me know if you can't find the Anchos. I'll be glad to send some up to you.

Dina's Southern spice mix

T ground red New Mexican chile
T ground Chile "Ancho" http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=10072
T crushed red pepper
t celery salt
t onion powder
t garlic powder
t ground coriander

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I've never tried making this before as hubby isn't keen on spicy food. But I may just make it for myself one day. Anyway.......I was watching Food 911 one day and Tyler made a recipe for this type of soup and it sounded wonderful. You might go to their site and see what he did.

Back
Top Bottom