Yellow Split Peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Radhuni, actually split peas are not the same as chana dal or tur dal. Chana dal is split grabanzo beans or chickpeas and tur dal is yellow split pigeon beans.

They are similar to vatana that is used in gujarati cooking a lot. We use dried green and yellow peas in Indian cooking but not necessarily split, although it's the same thing.

Having said that a soup would be nice. I like to cook my pea soup as follows:

boil and mash the peas
do a tadka (tempering)
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 green chilis chopped
- 3 tsp of cumin seeds
- 3 tsp of brown mustard seeds
- sprig of curry leaves

Put some oil, in a pan, once it's hot, add the tadka ingredients. Once they start to splutter, pour it into the soup. Let it simmer on low. Finish with some lime juice and freshly chopped cilantro and serve.

Interesting, I have never used green ones specifically. I have used like soup mix bags where they had both, I have used yellow ones to make a side dish, but never the green ones.

Hi Charlie, the green ones are readily available in Indian stores. They are called "Vatana" and they are basically whole not split.

The taste difference between the two is nothing major, I just like the look of the dried green ones so I tend to use them more than the yellow ones.

Back
Top Bottom