Yellow Split Peas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Bought a bag last night out of curiosity.
I've never had or have seen the yellows before.
Can they be cooked with the green? They only had 1 bag left.

Thank you

Munky.

Thanks Andy!

With all this talk about ham and split pea soup I went out on a quest to find a ham.

That's going to be an interesting pot of soup.

Munky.

I use yellow split peas for my restaurant recipe. They cook through quick on simmer, and break down and disolve, leaving a nice thick creamy consistency. Taste good also.

Would you say they cook about the same as the greens?
Are they sweet tasting?

I was going to put them in a crock pot tonight and let it cook on low. I like thick but not thick as standing a spoon in the bowl.. Do you add a a garni bag to the pot. or just everyday spices?

Thanks
Munky.

Would you say they cook about the same as the greens?
Are they sweet tasting?

I was going to put them in a crock pot tonight and let it cook on low. I like thick but not thick as standing a spoon in the bowl.. Do you add a a garni bag to the pot. or just everyday spices?

Thanks
Munky.

They can thicken up very nicely if you simmer and reduce them enough. I would say that they are a bit milder than the green peas. But, still very close in flavor.

I've never had it. Seems like a very nice recipe for me to try out. Thank you. I book marked it.

Munky.

French Canadian pea soup is lovely. I never liked (green) split pea soup, but I really like the one they serve here in Quebec. I was very surprised. :)

French Canadian pea soup is lovely. I never liked (green) split pea soup, but I really like the one they serve here in Quebec. I was very surprised. :)

I love making split pea soup, yet what I hated most as a kid was green peas. Frozen, ridiculous green, mealy. YUK!

Go figure.:LOL:

I had been getting disappointed in my split peas, so I decided one day to go back to basics and make it by the recipe on the back of the bag. VOILA!

Lately, I've been refining it with stocks and different smoked things - like, smoked turkey neck bones. What a strong delicious flavor. Or pork roast bones with meat. Yuuummmmy.

My store doesn't carry yellow peas. Don't know that I ever made them, but would sure love to try.

Last edited:
You can make just fine pea soup with them, and they mix with the green just fine. BUT I like to use them to make a curried pea soup with it, dahl. I'll skip over to ethnic and see if I can see if we can get one of our good Indian correspondents going. Dahl can be made with lentils and such, but I like those yellow split peas for their color. But I first started getting creative with Indian spices when I first used the yellow peas.

munky, here's my old recipe for pea soup with ham as done in a crock pot. couldn't be easier. :chef: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f59/crock-pot-split-pea-soup-with-ham-33424.html

i need to add that i've gotten to adding par boiled cubed potatoes in the last hour of cooking. she that must be obeyed (dw) demands that i add spuds as her mom did. :cool: but they can be left out for a more pure pea soup.

hth.

And yet again, we are alike.:LOL: My wife insists that the perfect split pea soup has diced potato (or mashed) and grated carott. Me, I prefer without the potato, and with a hearty smokey flavor from a leftover grilled ham bone, with some cubes of that same ham mixed in.

As for the yellow peas, they are milder than are split peas, and make an incredible soup. The Habitant Soup from a can was one of my Dad's favorite soups. He loved it. I have to admit, I love it too. But Habitant used dred yellow peas, and not dried yellow split peas. So your soup, if made with split peas, will come out thicker, and with more pea flavor. But that's not a bad thing at all :chef:. In my book, more flavor is always better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Regardless of whether we use yellow or green split peas to make soup, we now always add a bit of ground cumin. It adds a wonderful flavor.

Cold Winter Day Here Too

A good day for soup. This is a Cream of Broccoli Soup I made today.
6 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth3/4 teaspoon salt
1 - 10 oz pkg. broccoli, fresh or frozen (used fresh)

Saute butter and onion. Blend in flour slowly, add broth, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Cook until thickened. Puree broccoli in blender, add to mixture and heat 3 to 4 minutes.

I serve with grated cheese. Serves 4

YUMMMMY
Aria

I really like Habitant canned pea soup. It was one of two kinds of canned soup I could find with no MSG in the '80s. The other was Howard Johnson's clam chowder, also a delicious canned soup.

We call this 'chana dal'

Here is a recipe for chana dal (you can have this with rice or roti)

1. soak 250gm peas over night
  2. boil in pressure cooker until the peas became yet intact
  3. add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and green chili paste, a pinch of asafoetida
  4. in a pan heat ghee (clarified butter)
  5. add a dried red chili and a pinch of cumin seeds
  6. when the chili and cumin start crackling add the boiled dal
  7. add salt according to taste and boil
  8. when it get thicken turn off the gas
Dal is prepared, you can add few drops of fresh lemon juice in the time of eating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom