Your favorite soup for winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you read/heard the story of "Stone Soup"?

What is it? I bet they served it in the Victorian era workhouses. They'd serve a beef broth for lunch made by boiling meat in water. And hardly anyone got a chunk of meat.

Then the cooks would toss in a turnip or an onion in the huge pot, and that would end up being the "soup" for their next meal. Very meager. Those poor souls.

What is it? I bet they served it in the Victorian era workhouses. They'd serve a beef broth for lunch made by boiling meat in water. And hardly anyone got a chunk of meat.

Then the cooks would toss in a turnip or an onion in the huge pot, and that would end up being the "soup" for their next meal. Very meager. Those poor souls.
I'm surprised you haven't heard about this before. It's an old fable.

http://www.michaelppowers.com/prosperity/stonesoup.html

Here's another version.
https://emmblu.wordpress.com/bookworm-droppings/the-story-of-the-stone-soup/

Last edited:
Clam Chowder, both Manhattan and New England styles

Split Pea, both green and yellow (Quebecois) styles

My mom's Vegetable Beef soup

My mil's Chicken Parsley soup

Two Potato soup

Borscht, both red and white

French Onion soup

Escarole soup with shaved parm

Wild mushroom and African Carrot soups that are served at the Pine Hill Arms in Pine Hill, NY

Roast Pork Yat Gaw Mein soup

Last edited:
Mmmm....I love soups, especially with a good, crusty bread. :yum: Several of my faves have already been mentioned.

Split pea, Zuppa Toscana, cream of broccoli, cream of potato, clam chowder, minestrone, navy bean and ham....for starters. :chef:

“Please sir, may I have some more?”

albondigas soup, which is a savory Mexican vegetable soup with meatballs, served with warm tortillas and/or a scoop of rice
tortilla soup
potato leek soup

Big list but my favs are:
Egg Drop
hot and sour
beef stew
Chicken and dumplings
Potato
Corn chowder
Crab and corn chowder
any kind of gumbo
clam chowder

Breath....

I do love soup

I LOVE soup, but unfortunately the wife is not a real soup eater. .

Soup is the perfect meal -- hearty, satisfying, frugal. I usually just make a veggie beef soup with everything but the kitchen sink in it. What's your favorite soup?

It sounds like your wife just doesn't like your crockpot veggie beef soup. It's probably the only soup I don't like either. For one thing, I think a soup needs to be "tended" and not set and forget it in a crockpot. As a gentle suggestion, you might want to try the top of the stove to make the excellent soup choices here. :chef:

Another soup lover here. My favorite is a shiitake barley soup with a dill, lemon juice and sour cream garnish that my DH makes occasionally. The addition of some garlic bread, a small green salad and a slab of chocolate cake might be the answer to world-peace.

Another soup lover here. My favorite is a shiitake barley soup with a dill, lemon juice and sour cream garnish that my DH makes occasionally. The addition of some garlic bread, a small green salad and a slab of chocolate cake might be the answer to world-peace.

Recipe, please? Or pass it here.
I can't wrap my mind around shiitakes, barley, dill, lemon, and sour cream, salad, and chocolate.

Recipe, please? Or pass it here.
I can't wrap my mind around shiitakes, barley, dill, lemon, and sour cream, salad, and chocolate.

The chocolate comes after....

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 onions
3-4 garlic cloves
1T olive oil
6 cups of mushroom broth - recipe below
2 large potatoes
2 carrots
2 bay leaves
1 t salt
pepper
1/2 C barley
2 T butter
3/4 lb white mushrooms sliced
1/4 lb fresh shiitakes stemmed and sliced
2-3 t lemon juice
1 T snipped dill

sour cream and more dill for garnish

Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add mushroom broth, potatoes, carrots, bay, barley and s/p to taste. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
Saute mushroom in butter for about 5 minutes until they begin to give off liquid and then add to soup along with any pan juices. simmer for 10 minutes more.

Just before serving add lemon juice and dill. Reseason with s/p as needed. Serve with a dab of sour cream in center of bowl and top with more snipped dill.

Mushroom broth:
2 oz mixed dried mushrooms - hubby uses about 1/3 Shiitakes
12 C water
1 onion
2 garlic clovesd
1 lb fresh chopped mushrooms
1 T olive oil
3/4 t peppercorns
1/2 t salt

Soak dried mushrooms in 2 C water. Sizzle up fresh veggies in oil until soft. add seasoning and soaked mushrooms w/ liquid and all the rest of the water, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Strain.

Uhg. I despise soup. Unless it has the consistency of chili, as my OCD won't let me eat with a spoon. My family loves it.

I do love french onion soup as a dip though and will drink it from the bowl.

I went back and looked at your Roasted Root Veggie Bisque, Taxi. I put that one in my faves, also. Sounds delish, and thanks for reposting it! :yum:

Last edited:
I suppose my favorite soup is whichever one I'm eating. :yum: However, to be more specific, these tend to be the soups I make most often during colder weather:

Mom's Ham and Bean Soup

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Ribollita (a great way to use up stale bread)

Smoky Black Bean and Ham Bone Soup

Chickpea and Romaine Soup with Golden Vermicelli (very warming, and a good way to use up tired greens - I've also used spinach or chard in place of romaine)

Lipton Cream of Broccoli Soup (definitely old-school with convenience ingredients, but easy comfort food - especially if you need to use up milk)

Escarole, Sausage, and White Bean Soup (lots of recipes online, all pretty similar, and I don't have a favorite)

Back
Top Bottom