Your favorite soup for winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went back and looked at your Roasted Root Veggie Bisque, Taxi. I put that one in my faves, also. Sounds delish, and thanks for reposting it! :yum:
Do give it a try. Just remember not to put all the roasted hot pepper in before tasting. The variation in how hot even the same kind of peppers are can make a huge difference. I have to make some soon.

I didn't have to work today, so last night at 2 AM I was still up (watching Netflix). I decided (under the cover of darkness) to put a soup together in the crockpot so we could eat it for lunch today. Wife doesn't like me to make soup, but when I make it she eats it and says it's great.

And there's a spy in the house -- her disabled adult brother lives with us. He is developmentally disabled. He likes soup, but he knows his sister doesn't like me to make it. So he will throw a slight tantrum. So I had to be quiet and not wake him.

I seared the stew meat and tossed some diced white onion and celery in with it in a skillet. And I added tomato juice, Newman's Own marinara sauce (Sockarooni), water, corn, green beans, carrots, peas, potatoes -- all into the crock pot. By lunchtime we were eating our yummy soup with some crusty Italian bread.

I have a bunch of different mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, button, oyster, and baby king oyster) that I'd like to tirn into a soup. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if a creamy soup would work. I think that might kill all of the different nuances, but I dunno.

Thanks so much, jd. That looks perfect.

I've had success with adapting a few of Jamie Oliver's recipes before. I should be making this soon.

I have a bunch of different mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, button, oyster, and baby king oyster) that I'd like to tirn into a soup. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if a creamy soup would work. I think that might kill all of the different nuances, but I dunno.

Who says you can't make a Pho broth and just have mushrooms with it?:yum:

I thought about that, but I have a lot of mushrooms. It wpuld make a lot of soup that way, and a lot would probably end up being wasted.

This is what I made from turkey carcass (actually just the bones and attached meat from a whole turkey breast):

Carcass and scraps
2 stalks of celery, cut into 2" pieces
2 medium carrots, cut into 2" pieces
1 large onion, quartered
2 tsp Better That Bouillon chicken flavor
bouquet garni
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
salt to taste
water (to cover)

Place ingredients in pot, add water to just cover the carcass, cover and simmer for 2 hours to extract all the good flavor into the broth. Remove everything from the broth. I don't bother to strain it, so it remains a bit cloudy, but I'm not that picky - you can do as you like.

Ingredients for soup:
broth from above
2 small to medium carrots, sliced 1/4"
1 stalk celery, sliced 1/4"
1 cup mushrooms, sliced and sauteed (or a small can of sliced mushrooms if you feel like it, I've gone both ways and it doesn't make much difference in soup)
1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut into 1" pieces.
1½ - 2 cups of diced cooked turkey or chicken
salt and pepper to taste (be sure to taste and adjust as needed)
1 tsp dried thyme

Simmer just until veggies are almost done, then add:

1/2 package pasta (I used bowtie)

Boil just long enough to cook pasta

There are obvious gray areas in this recipe, all depending on how much stock you make in the first step. Quantities can be adjusted to personal expectations. For me, it made a hearty, flavorful soup with a lot of substance. Served with a buttered slice of good bread it made a perfect evening meal.

The chocolate comes after....

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 onions
3-4 garlic cloves
1T olive oil
6 cups of mushroom broth - recipe below
2 large potatoes
2 carrots
2 bay leaves
1 t salt
pepper
1/2 C barley
2 T butter
3/4 lb white mushrooms sliced
1/4 lb fresh shiitakes stemmed and sliced
2-3 t lemon juice
1 T snipped dill

sour cream and more dill for garnish

Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft. Add mushroom broth, potatoes, carrots, bay, barley and s/p to taste. Simmer covered for 1 hour.
Saute mushroom in butter for about 5 minutes until they begin to give off liquid and then add to soup along with any pan juices. simmer for 10 minutes more.

Just before serving add lemon juice and dill. Reseason with s/p as needed. Serve with a dab of sour cream in center of bowl and top with more snipped dill.

Mushroom broth:
2 oz mixed dried mushrooms - hubby uses about 1/3 Shiitakes
12 C water
1 onion
2 garlic clovesd
1 lb fresh chopped mushrooms
1 T olive oil
3/4 t peppercorns
1/2 t salt

Soak dried mushrooms in 2 C water. Sizzle up fresh veggies in oil until soft. add seasoning and soaked mushrooms w/ liquid and all the rest of the water, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Strain.

Thanks, looks tasty. I would first think the shrooms would get lost, but I guess that's the reason for the shroom broth.

Thanks, looks tasty. I would first think the shrooms would get lost, but I guess that's the reason for the shroom broth.

The mushrooms are flavor forward and i think the shiitakes are the key - they have a really robust flavor.

Another favorite cold weather soup of mine is split green pea soup. I haven't made it from scratch yet. I remember my mom saving the bone from a previously cooked ham to make it. :yum:

Last edited:
Echoing a couple of previous posts here, we don't get much cool weather for winter down here, but, like several other folks, for me the Zuppa Tuscana reigns supreme; it has knocked other soups aside. I only discovered the recipe here at DC last year but loved it immediately. Mmmm...but love chili, too - no matter the weather. :cool:

My favourite winter soup (or anytime for that matter) is Curried Cauliflower soup. I make it vegetarian and with coconut milk. It is really delicious. I sometimes add Epicture Mango Curry mix which gives an extra bit of flavour.

My second choice would be a tie - French Pea and Corn Chowder. My Mom made these two all the time when I was growing up and they sure warmed you up on a cold winter day. Again I made them vegetarian and dairy free but they still taste awesome!

I'm also a lover of soup who is married to someone who does not like soup. He'll tolerate eating it on a limited basis, assuming it is more chunky than broth. I like broth. My favorite is honestly a basic homemade chicken soup, but beef vegetable is a close second. I make homemade dumplings to go in it (not the kind that are in traditional chicken and dumplings; I'm talking drop dumplings you boil. No rising.). The one soup my husband does like is potato, because it isn't brothy at all; more like thinned out mashed potatoes, which are his favorite. I should make that this week when the temperature here drops.

I'm also a lover of soup who is married to someone who does not like soup. He'll tolerate eating it on a limited basis, assuming it is more chunky than broth. I like broth. My favorite is honestly a basic homemade chicken soup, but beef vegetable is a close second. I make homemade dumplings to go in it (not the kind that are in traditional chicken and dumplings; I'm talking drop dumplings you boil. No rising.). The one soup my husband does like is potato, because it isn't brothy at all; more like thinned out mashed potatoes, which are his favorite. I should make that this week when the temperature here drops.

Im a ' Brothy kinda guy' too. My wife likes thicker, chunkier soup with a lot of stuff in it. I enjoy that too, but its the broth I enjoy most

Im also the only one who eats leftovers, and when I make soup, I make a HUGE pot of soup. Usually takes me a week to finish it all up.

I rather like a hearty bowl of clam chowder during cold rainy winter weather. Snowdens clam chowder is my favorite.

Corn chowder. When I make corn chowder I use two cans of cream style corn, Potatoes, onion and two cans of evaporated milk added to the water the taters cooked in. That broth is so creamy and delicious. I would rather have the broth than any other part of the chowder.

Another broth I loved is chicken and beef broth from beef stew. I have been collecting chicken bones in the freezer and pulled them out today to make just the broth. A crumbled saltine or two and I had supper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom