Cajun Shrimp and Black Bean Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper (diced large)
1 large red bell pepper (diced large)
1 tablespoon olive oil
30 ounces chicken broth
2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
2 cups frozen corn
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
4-6 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp (With heads and shell on)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Method

Saute onion and bell pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender.

Add the broth, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and salt.

Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir in shrimp after rinsing them well and draining them; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.

Stir in parsley.

Serve in soup bowls, placed on over-sized dinner plates.

Provide each person with a bowl for shrimp skins and heads.

Lots of napkins are needed for the juice running down the arms.

Ice cold sweet tea goes well with this meal.

Sounds great! I'll be giving this a try. Thanks for posting.

This is one of my favorites Steve. I don't really use the recipe any more and each time I make it, I add something else that is in season or sometimes use other beans.

It always turns out well.

I hope you enjoy it! :chef:

Do I turn into a pumpkin if I leave out the corn? Sounds really good and Shrek can have my corn.

Do I turn into a pumpkin if I leave out the corn? Sounds really good and Shrek can have my corn.
Big ole orange punkin....Ha! :ROFLMAO:

I switch ingredients around all the time in this one. It's fun to see what it will be each time. I've never left the corn out, so let me know how it turns out for you! :chef:

Yum! I've made something similar without shrimp,more like a veggie chili, but the shrimp would put it over the top!

Ingredients

1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper (diced large)
1 large red bell pepper (diced large)
1 tablespoon olive oil
30 ounces chicken broth
2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
2 cups frozen corn
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
4-6 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound uncooked jumbo shrimp (With heads and shell on)
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

Method

Saute onion and bell pepper in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender.

Add the broth, tomatoes and green chilies, corn, black beans, tomatoes, chili powder, sugar and salt.

Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

Stir in shrimp after rinsing them well and draining them; cook 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.

Stir in parsley.

Serve in soup bowls, placed on over-sized dinner plates.

Provide each person with a bowl for shrimp skins and heads.

Lots of napkins are needed for the juice running down the arms.

Ice cold sweet tea goes well with this meal.

This one looks beautiful!!! :pig:

What kind of seasoning is that Old Bay Seasoning?

Yum! I've made something similar without shrimp,more like a veggie chili, but the shrimp would put it over the top!

You can even de-head and peal the shrimp if you like! I leave them on for additional flavor and so I can squeeze out the head juices! It's like a flavor slam on your taste buds. Serious Yum! :pig:

This one looks beautiful!!! :pig:

What kind of seasoning is that Old Bay Seasoning?

Hey Luca, Old Bay includes mustard, paprika, celery seed, bay leaf, both black and red pepper, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, mace and ginger. It is regionally popular, specifically in Southern States and parts of the Gulf Coast.

Timothy said:
Hey Luca, Old Bay includes mustard, paprika, celery seed, bay leaf, both black and red pepper, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, mace and ginger. It is regionally popular, specifically in Southern States and parts of the Gulf Coast.

We get it here in midAmerica, too, the can says it's been around over 70 years. Great with any seafood, it's a big part of Maryland crab boil on the east coast as well.

I remember seeing a version you can make yourself, I think in Copykat recipes.

Last edited:
We get it here in midAmerica, too, the can says it's been around over 70 years. Great with any seafood, it's a big part of Maryland crab boil on the east coast as well.

I don't remember ever having a time or place I've lived that I didn't have a can of Old Bay in the cupboard.

I'm not sure I could stand living where I couldn't drive over to the ocean in an hour. I've lived on both coasts, but never inland. It's kind of a way of life for me.

I'm not surprised that you love Old Bay there also. The stuff is just so good!

Thanks, I think I'll get it from Amazon.com, I just found a "6-ounce canister"! :)

Luca Lazzari said:
Thanks, I think I'll get it from Amazon.com, I just found a "6-ounce canister"! :)

Love the Amazon! Wonder how much business they get from DC? Maybe we could get a group discount!

That's the size I buy also, Luca. It'll last you for quite some time.

Enjoy! I look forward to hearing about your first use of it and what you think of the results.

I've been dreaming about making a Cajun shrimps recipe since Forrest Gump's Bubba talked about them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom