Chicken and Biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
We have had a few chilly days here in the Finger lakes of New York State
Making some Chicken & biscuits for dinner today. Wondered how everyone else did theirs.
I basically make a hearty chicken soup - thicken the broth and add cream.
(carrots, peas, potato, pearl onions, and the chicken, spoon it over hot biscuits.

Better Than Yum, this is. Now you have me drooling. Lucky us, we are having the last cool day before we return to full hot summer tomorrow.

Yes, is how I make this too. I consider this a prime way to put together leftovers. Use chicken broth that I poached the chicken in and add milk or cream to finish. Veloute sauce. I don't think I have ever added wine, like one would if de-glazing a pan. I prefer using Gravy as the sauce. If using a rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken where there is no gravy, use canned broth to make the sauce. Or, if it was roasted chicken with gravy, use leftovers, supplement with a little more milk/cream or broth as needed to make enough. Least favorite, use jarred gravy or even less, canned cream soup. ( I have done this, Past Tense.) One of the grocery stores I shop makes it's own gravy from the deli. I would rate as so- so, and one should not claim it as home-made.

I recent made chicken shepherd's pie, because I had leftover mashed potatoes to "frost" the top. It was good, used all the veggies and chicken
the same as for biscuits and gravy. While good, I thought it was lacking without the biscuits topping. I much prefer home-made biscuit toppers on my Chicken pot pies instead of a pastry crust too.

I make sure the chicken/ veggies/ sauce are hot before putting the biscuits on top in the oven. It keeps the biscuits from being soggy/ under-cooked on the bottoms since it doesn't take so long for the tops to bake and they get too done if you have to bake the casserole part longer just to heat it up. I like how the sauce bubbles up and around the biscuits when it comes out of the oven. Otherwise, bake biscuits separate and serve. I make extra biscuits and serve with butter and honey or jam alongside.

I'm not sure there is a preferred ratio or balance between chicken and how much veggies to add. I have cooked a potato special, because I like to include. And I always have frozen peas to add. Otherwise, it's (planned) leftover veggies from a previous meal. Sometimes they get more over cooked than original crisp-tender. I figure that's part of the goodness about making a comfort dish.

Last edited:
Instead of biscuits, I make Chicken and Dumplings. Still too hot out here, but it will definitely end up in the menu rotation this fall and winter!

I make sure the chicken/ veggies/ sauce are hot before putting the biscuits on top in the oven. It keeps the biscuits from being soggy/ under-cooked on the bottoms since it doesn't take so long for the tops to bake and they get too done if you have to bake the casserole part longer just to heat it up. I like how the sauce bubbles up and around the biscuits when it comes out of the oven.

That's an excellent hint and one I never thought about. In the past I've always gone the dumplings route and I'll try your method with biscuits when it cools off around here. It only makes sense that the mix should be simmering in the oven before adding the biscuits, like you must do with dumplings on top of the stove.

I make the same base recipe I use for chicken pot pie, cover it with biscuits and finish in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom