Chicken Stew with Drop Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef

Chicken and Dumplings by powerplantop, on Flickr

1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken.
8 Cups Water
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Carrot
1/2 Cup Celery
1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
6oz Frozen Peas
2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Drop Dumplings
1 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Oil

Pull all meat off of the Chicken and shred.
Put bones and skin in water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes.

Melt butter add carrots and celery cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes to brown slightly. Add Thyme and stock from chicken bones. When it come to a boil add chicken and peas. Cook for 5 minutes.

When the Stew is almost done mix dumplings.

Add Parsley to stew just before adding dumplings.

Use spoons to add them to the pot. Put the lid on slightly ajar and cook a few minutes then turn the dumplings. Depending upon size of dumplings it will take 7 to 15 minutes to fully cook.

Chicken Stew with Drop Dumplings:yum: wow what a great comfort food for the upcoming cold days.

I shall copy your recipe if you do not mind.:)

Chicken Stew with Drop Dumplings:yum: wow what a great comfort food for the upcoming cold days.

I shall copy your recipe if you do not mind.:)

I do not mind, tell your friends it is yours. It is very versatile for tweaking to your personal choice and or what you have on hand.

Growing up in "da U.P., Eh", and still calling it my home, I am no stranger to chicken and dumplings. My Mom made it like you do, except she started with a whole, raw chicken. I took her recipe and altered it. I remove the chicken meat from the raw chicken, fry the bones and skin until browned, in just the fat from the chicken skin, and then add the bones and skin to my pressure cooker, after breaking the bones to get all of the goodness out of them. Cook under pressure for 30 minutes while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.

I then strain the broth through a sieve to remove everything, and place back into the PC. Add the veggies and bring up to pressure. Cook for seven minutes.

While the PC is doing its thing, I lightly brown and season the cubed chicken. I release the pressure and add the dumplings just as you said. When I serve the soup, I place the soup and chicken into the bowls, then place a dumpling on top, with a pat of butter on top of the dumpling.

Really, the only difference between what we make is that I add onion chunks with my veggies, and omit the peas. And I use the pressure cooker to make a very rich broth.

I love chicken and dumplings. PPT, you rock. I wish I had some right now. I just finished shoveling snow for the last two hours. I'm sitting here trying to type as I shiver. Funny, I didn't feel cold when I was outside. It wasn't until I came in and drained a tall glass of ice water.:ohmy:

I'm thinking some hot cocoa might help me out.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, that sounds real close to how my grandmother made her broth. Then she would make the thin dumplings that would get rolled out like big noodles.

Chief, that sounds real close to how my grandmother made her broth. Then she would make the thin dumplings that would get rolled out like big noodles.

I've made those dumplings before. They were called "slippery dumplings" by the person that gave me the method. I used a pizza cutter to cut them after they had been rolled.
Anything with chicken and gravy is all good :yum: I typically use the pressure cooker and an uncooked whole bird to start this, but also use leftover chicken in a quicker form. Up here in the northeast this is often served over biscuits and called chicken 'n biscuits. I like the "biscuits" cooked in the broth sometimes too, though.

Chicken and Dumplings by powerplantop, on Flickr

1 Whole Rotisserie Chicken.
8 Cups Water
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Carrot
1/2 Cup Celery
1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
6oz Frozen Peas
2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Drop Dumplings
1 Cup Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Chopped Parsley
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Oil

Pull all meat off of the Chicken and shred.
Put bones and skin in water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a slow boil and cook for 30 minutes.

Melt butter add carrots and celery cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes to brown slightly. Add Thyme and stock from chicken bones. When it come to a boil add chicken and peas. Cook for 5 minutes.

When the Stew is almost done mix dumplings.

Add Parsley to stew just before adding dumplings.

Use spoons to add them to the pot. Put the lid on slightly ajar and cook a few minutes then turn the dumplings. Depending upon size of dumplings it will take 7 to 15 minutes to fully cook.

I just ran across this old thread, scanning through the forum. My mother used to make this but I never knew what it as even called. I recognized it from the picture. I saved this recipe and will have to try it someday soon.

I've made those dumplings before. They were called "slippery dumplings" by the person that gave me the method. I used a pizza cutter to cut them after they had been rolled.
Anything with chicken and gravy is all good :yum: I typically use the pressure cooker and an uncooked whole bird to start this, but also use leftover chicken in a quicker form. Up here in the northeast this is often served over biscuits and called chicken 'n biscuits. I like the "biscuits" cooked in the broth sometimes too, though.

My mother also made the "slippery dumplings." Anything that would stretch a meal. It comes from Pennsylvania Dutch, and is called "Bott Boi" which most people translate to "Potpie", but it is not a potpie as I know it.

My mother also made the "slippery dumplings." Anything that would stretch a meal. It comes from Pennsylvania Dutch, and is called "Bott Boi" which most people translate to "Potpie", but it is not a potpie as I know it.

"slippery dumplings" is a new term to me but I think is a good description.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom