Chili Verde

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
CHILI VERDE

1 Lb Tomatillos
1 Ea Poblano Peppers
1 Ea Green Jalapeno Pepper
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, halved
4 Cl Garlic, unpeeled
2 Tb Oil, to coat vegetables
2 Tb Oil
2 Lb Pork Butt, cubed
½ Lb Tomatillos
1 Ea Poblano Pepper
1 Ea Green Jalapeno Pepper
1 Ea Serrano Pepper
1 Ea Onion, chopped
2 tsp Cumin
2 tsp Mexican Oregano
1 C Chicken Stock
1 tsp MSG or Goya Seasoning Packet
TT Salt and Pepper
1-2 Tb Masa

Peel the husks from the tomatillos and rinse them. Place them on an oiled sheet pan. Add the poblano, jalapeno and Serrano, the onion and the garlic to the sheet pan. Coat them all with oil. Broil the vegetables in the oven or grill them until roasted and blackened.

Place the chilies into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. Remove the skin, seeds and stems from the chilies. Place the flesh into a food processor along with the tomatillos, the broiled onion and the peeled garlic. Process until mostly smooth.

Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven. Brown the pork over high heat on all sides. Remove the meat to a plate.

Stem/seed/clean the tomatillos, peppers and onion and chop. Add the chopped vegetables to the pan. Sauté until softened.

Add the cumin and oregano to the pan. Return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pan. Add the puréed vegetables, stock and seasoning. Bring the pan to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours.

Make a slurry with the masa and some water and stir it into the pot. The finished product should be thick, not soupy.

Adjust the seasonings.

Bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the desired thickness is attained.

Serve with cornbread.

Do the tomatillos, onions, and peppers get chopped or go in the food processor? The recipe seems to say to process in the food processor and later says to chop them.

Do the tomatillos, onions, and peppers get chopped or go in the food processor? The recipe seems to say to process in the food processor and later says to chop them.

The first batch of veggies that are roasted go into the blender.

The second batch of veggies get chopped.

The first batch of veggies that are roasted go into the blender.

The second batch of veggies get chopped.

I thought I had checked to see if there were two batches of veg, but somehow, I missed it. Am I understanding this right, the first batch gets roasted and blended and the second batch get chopped up and sautéed?

Looks good! I make Chili Verde every other week. I don't use masa in it (although that would be fine) but I usually add a can of hominy to mine. And while it's not strictly traditional I like to cut the pork butt into 2" thick slabs and do 'em for about an hour on my Traeger, 30 minutes per side. The smokiness is subtle with just an hour of cooking but I like the flavor. I also toss in a couple of chipotle peppers to deepen that smoky zing.

Looks good! I make Chili Verde every other week. I don't use masa in it (although that would be fine) but I usually add a can of hominy to mine. And while it's not strictly traditional I like to cut the pork butt into 2" thick slabs and do 'em for about an hour on my Traeger, 30 minutes per side. The smokiness is subtle with just an hour of cooking but I like the flavor. I also toss in a couple of chipotle peppers to deepen that smoky zing.
Hominy and extra liquid turn chile verde into posole verde - one of my favorite stews [emoji39]

Potato would be fairly common and traditional but I try to keep the carbs down. Hominy has some carbs but I use very little, just an accent.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom