Gumbo/fresh okra question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I'm in the midst of making Paul Deen's gumbo for tonight. Recipes : Gumbo : Food Network

She uses frozen sliced okra but I have fresh sliced.

Do you think I should add the raw okra to the gumbo, or should I sautee the slime out of it first?

I kinda thought that I should add it raw, so that the slime would act as a thickener.

Lee

Last edited:
If you are trying to duplicate the Dean recipe I would put it in "as is"

Then again if "slimy" bothers you...add just a wee bit of oil to a skillet..over medium heat stir the okra until it not longer slimy. This will be obvious as you stir... you will see the "strings" as you move the okra around. When you no longer see the "strings" the slimyness is all but gone. Add to the gumbo at this point. It may brown a bit here and there...but that is ok.

Depending on the gumbo..I use both methods...or sometimes no okra at all!

Hope this helps...Enjoy your gumbo and watching the Bears "take care of bidness"

If you do decide to saute it first, don't add it to your gumbo until the last few minutes - otherwise you'll just have okra mush (one of the reasons a lot of people don't like okra - lol!!).

I agree with Breezy and Uncle Bob!! Of course if your family does like the okra kind of cooked away, add it a bit sooner. My grandsons like to go after the seeds!!!

One little trick I learned to eliminate the slime (if that is what you are worried about) is to bake the sliced okra for about 5 to 8 minutes at 350. It dries it out a bit so you can add to your gumbo. I tried it and it worked great. Plus they are kinda tasty done that way.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I added it raw, and it simmered for another hour and was excellent.

I've always made smothered okra, tomatoes and onions (one of Emeril's books) and sauteed the okra, stirring until the slime went away.

In this dish, the long cooking must have dealt with the slime just fine.

Sattie, I like the baking idea a lot! Thanks!

Lee

QSis said:
Sattie, I like the baking idea a lot! Thanks!

Lee

No problem, it was probably Emril or something like that that I got the idea from anyway!!!

The long cooking, as others said, dissipates the "slime", which I think would be hard to detect in a gumbo anyway.

Back
Top Bottom