Help! Maybe too much wine in lentil soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lbee787

Assistant Cook
I had a bottle of red wine left over (about two cups) and decided to make a soup with ingredients I have. I've already got everything simmering but now after reading other recipes I see I've added to much wine. There is about 4 cups of water. So I've decided to cook for three hours to make sure the alcohol is cooked off. So now that it's simmering does it matter if the lid is on or not? I like the lentils to be soft, mushy. Also if it turns out it is flavored with too much wine, if it's too rich, what can I add to it to help the taste- water? sugar? honey? I don't have yogurt, milk or sour cream.

Thanks for your help in advance.

~Laura

Hmm - interesting problem. You shouldn't have much trouble cooking off the alcohol but may indeed find that the wine flavor is overpowering.

Do you have any canned coconut milk? This might be a good foil along with some curry powder for the wine.

Just so you know, alcohol never totally cooks off.

If you cook lentils for 3 hours they will be totally disintegrated.

If you are worried about too much wine why not remove some of the cooking liquid and replace it with plain water?

Hmm - interesting problem. You shouldn't have much trouble cooking off the alcohol but may indeed find that the wine flavor is overpowering.

Do you have any canned coconut milk? This might be a good foil along with some curry powder for the wine.
No I don't have any but thank you for the suggestion. I have tasted it now after simmering an hour and it is actually ok, just a bit sour but earthy.

Just so you know, alcohol never totally cooks off.

If you cook lentils for 3 hours they will be totally disintegrated.

If you are worried about too much wine why not remove some of the cooking liquid and replace it with plain water?
I read that cooking it for at least 2.5 hours cooks off 95% of the alcohol. That's fine with me. I know it's weird but I don't mind if the lentils disintegrate. Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome to DC. I would suggest you enjoy the wine and just get sloshed. Then you won't care. Next time drink the wine first. Then you won't have any worries! :angel:

I add the wine at the de-glazing stage. I never notice any over powering taste of wine when I do it this way.
I reduce almost all of it before proceeding.

Back
Top Bottom