Spicy Fish Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
I believe this came from an Epicurious Recipe Flash - tried it on a fluke and it is by far our favorite summertime meal. I know it says "stew" but it is the perfect summer meal. (Now that I have made this in the winter months also I will have to say that it is a perfect meal for ANY time of year) ;)

SPICY FISH STEW

3 large red bell peppers
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 shallots, chopped
2 14 1/2-ounce cans petite diced tomatoes in juice
1 cup white wine
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
2 pounds tilapia (tried orange roughy, tilapia, mahi mahi, and cod – tilapia hands down is best) cut into 2-inch pieces

Cut fish and season with salt and pepper before you prepare peppers. The fish has a much better flavor when seasoned ahead of time and is REALLY hard to pick up a little salt flavor after it is in the stew already.

Char bell peppers under broiler until blackened on all sides. Place peppers in glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 10 to 20 minutes. Peel, seed, and chop peppers.

Heat oil in heavy large skillet or stockpot over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until very soft, about 6 minutes. Stir in peppers, tomatoes with juice, white wine, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in cilantro and lime peel. Add fish; simmer until just opaque in center, about 5 minutes. Season stew to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls and serve.

Makes 6 servings

Back
Top Bottom