Substitute Veggie in Chicken Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassy

Assistant Cook
Have a great recipe for Chicken Stew w/Biscuits that I want to make more kid-friendly. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 C frozen small whole onions in addition to 2 C chopped yellow onions. Too many onions for kids!!! There's already carrots and peas in this recipe. What could I use in place of the frozen onions???

When I make stew I use a large vidalia onion, potatos, carrots, and frozen corn.

Last edited:
I'd nix the small whole onions & sub in bite-size cubes of potato. Very few kids don't like potatoes. Frozen corn kernels & green beans are also good kid-friendly ideas already mentioned.

This will alter the flavor of chicken stew but kids love to find corkscrew pasta in their soup. My kids did not to go scuba diving through the broth to find out what was in the pot. They like oyster crackers more than biscuits.
If you decide to try pasta, add it cooked at the last minute so it doesn't fall apart.
In my stews or soups, I try to use equal amounts of the main ingredients and cut them in the same size. Kinda keeps people from picking out the best of the best.

I'm surprised no one mentioned peas. I always use peas, green beans, corn, pimentos, potatoes, and mushrooms in my filling. Sometimes I use a couple cans of Veg-all...or blanched, frozen mixed vegies.

Back
Top Bottom