What do you put in your Stew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
Growing up...my mom always put cabbage in right towards the end of cooking it. Stew just doesn't seem right without it now.

Stew meat
potatoes
carrots
onions
tomatoes
cabbage

always served in the natural juices rather than the "brown gravy".

cabbage is great in a stew. I like a variety of root vegetables so I put parsnip and turnip or rutabaga with potatoes onions and carrots. peas are also good.

I use lamb cubes in my stew and make the gravy with chopped onions and 6 or so chopped tomatoes. I add freshly roasted cumin, corrainder and red chilli powder along with fresh garlic. I also make a paste of yellow mustard seeds, vinegar, brown sugar and add a couple of heaping tbsps of that in the gravy.

I cook it until the meat is almost tender. Then add pearl onions (peeled but whole), baby potatoes and some grape tomatoes and cook it until the potatoes are cooked

Garnish with cilantro and serve it with strips of fried flour tortillas.

our stew is usually seared beef cubes, cubed potatoes, carrots (we all love the carrots 'cept for my Dad), celery (we all hate the celery, 'cept for my Dad), either pearl onions or quartered onions, beef base, seasonings, of course water, and that's about it. i don't really like it anymore cause my Dad has made it so often. although he did thicken the last batch up with tapioca, and that was a nice change.
if i do have a bowl of it, i usually thicken it, ignore the celery, add canned peas, and put garlic powder and ground sage in it.

Last edited:
I put in whatever I have on hand. The meat is beef, venison, or chicken, sometimes enhanced by smoked sausage. I always use potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, canned diced tomatoes with juice and/or a small can of tomato sauce, caramelized onions, garlic and sometimes celery. Other additions include any of the following: green beans (the flat Italian ones are my favorite), brussels sprouts, peas, corn, lima beans, pimentoes or sauteed red sweet peppers. I have even put in a handful of barley upon occasion. It tastes wonderful, and is a great thickening agent.
If I want cabbage, I have to cook it separately, as HB hates it. I've never tasted parsnips or rutabagas...but there's always tomorrow for that!

Much like Constance, whatever I have about the place. I do like to add bay leaf, and if I have them a shallot or leek. For me stew is just not complete if it doesn't come with fluffy homemade dumplings on top! :)

Beef,
Beef broth,
carrots,
celery,
Turnips,
more carrots ( they are my favorite part)
corn
mushrooms,
tomatoes
sometimes, if I have any left over veggies I'll toss them in...doesn't matter what.

My main flavorful ingredient is sweet italian sausage. It makes all the difference in the world.

I'll be doing more stews and soups soon, as I just bought The Soup Bible (as well as the Bread Baker's Apprentice) and can't wait to dig in. :chef:

I add several of the ingredients already mentioned here. I like to experiment with the flavoring(s), sometimes adding coffee, red wine, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, or worcestershire, or some sour cream (at the end) & variety of shrooms. A fave is serving it over broad egg noodles or in a (beef) pot pie with puff pastry. I have a beef-ginger stew recipe served in puff pastry. If anyone is interested, give me a wave.

That reminds me. I've been known to add a bottle or two of wheat beer (shaken so you get the sediment too) to the pot as well. A porter works for a richer, deeper flavor if you prefer.

Pretty much like Kaylindas, except the cabbage.. though come to think of it it could be a nice addition!! I also use a little bacon, bouquet garni and lots of red wine... gives a very nice flavour!!

for my beef stew i use, shallots,mushrooms,peas,carrots,swede,new potatoes diced, sometimes sweetcorn, a little garlic, lots of home grown fresh herbs, a strong dark ale, worcester sauce, pepper

KAYLINDA said:
Growing up...my mom always put cabbage in right towards the end of cooking it. Stew just doesn't seem right without it now.

Stew meat
potatoes
carrots
onions
tomatoes
cabbage

always served in the natural juices rather than the "brown gravy".

My mom always made this and it was a true favorite... now I make it as well... just like you do. Maybe our moms hung out together? :rolleyes:

All the above, skinned tomatoes, a bottle of stout for beef. I add mint for lamb tied up with rosemary and a bay leaf or three. I love pumpkin and Kumara (sweet pot) which melts in to the gravy and thickens as well as adding to the flavour.

Back
Top Bottom