Cheesey Tater-tot Casserole (no "cream of" soup added)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
So, I was looking for recipes for a cheesey tater-tot casserole. Almost all of them called for either cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup. Neither sounded particularly interesting as a base for a cheesey dish so I decided I'd just make up my own recipe. Here's what I came up with and it was really good and super easy! My roomates voted it a favorite. Makes a lot. Fed two college boys, my female roomate and myself. Feel free to cut it in half for a smaller group.

2 lbs hamburger
1 medium onion, diced
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp fine ground black pepper
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen french cut green beans
1/2 pint heavy cream
2 cups grated sharp cheddar plus 1/2 cup
1/2 cup flour
1 bag of tater-tots

Pre-heat oven to 400F. Brown hamburger with onion, garlic and black pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the cream. In a large casserole dish (a shallow lasagna pan also works) mix the veggies, 2 cups cheese and flour. Add the hamburger and cream and mix. Top with the bag of tater-tots and then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in center of the oven for 40 minutes or until top of tater-tots are golden and crisp. If needed place under broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the top. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving (this is the hardest part because it smells really good).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom