Got alot of zucchini?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Yes it is the time to figure out what to do with all the zucchinis you have grown or been given and you don't know what to do with them. This is a favorite of our family. I never have leftovers and when I take it somewhere the recipe is always requested. I think you will like it, if you want to turn the oven on in this heat . Enjoy

Zucchini Casserole

Saute Together until softened and then remove from heat
6 cups thin sliced zucchini
1 cup chopped onions
1 stick of butter (or margerine)

Add to vegtable mixture :
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup as is from can
(cream of celery, cream of chicken will work also)
1 cup shredded sharp cheese (Xtra sharp good also )

Mix together (not according to pkg directions)
stove top stuffing mix for chicken or turkey and the seasoning pkg together.
(nothing else - you are just using the dry bread and sesonings)
Note: Depending on if you buy stove top brand or a store brand the seaoning package might already be mix in

place 1/2 of the stuffing mix in bottom of a casserole dish
add the vegtable mixture
top with remaining stuffing mixture

Bake 350 20 - 30 min uncovered

Ours are growing in the garden.. soon we'll have toooo many!!
Thanks! This does sound good!

when they get to be the size of torpedoes I usually decline the neighbors' offers of produce of this sort. I mean really - how much zucchini bread can one family eat?

Letscook, this sounds pretty good, I have to say. Maybe less zucchini bread for us this year.

This sounds really good, letscook--thanks! I'm assuming that the liquid from the sauteed mixture softens all of the stuffing?

Frozen zucchini for soup

My mother, a daughter of the Depression, would grate the late garden zucchini and freeze immediately in quart plastic ziplocks. These would be added to winter soup as a thickener.

Or for casseroles and bread in the winter.

WK

I love zucchini ideas - here are a couple, the first one was printed in a PG&E (local utility co.) years and years ago and it's still a favorite!

ZUCCHINI & PIMIENTO CASSEROLE

1 1/2 lbs zucchini -- cut in 1/4" thick. crosswise slices
1 large onion -- sliced 1/4" thick
boiling salted water
4 ozs pimientos -- drained & chopped
1/4 cup crackers -- soda
1 cup cheddar cheese -- sharp
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 eggs -- beaten

Place the zucchini and onion slices in a pan with a small amount of boiling water and cook, covered, over medium-high heat until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool quickly in cold water; drain well.
Place half the vegetable slices in a shallow 1-quart buttered casserole dish.

Top with half the pimento, crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper.
Top with remaining slices and top with the rest of the pimentos, crumbs, cheese and a little more salt and pepper.

Pour beaten egg over all; cover and bake at 350 F. until the egg sets, about 20
minutes.
~~~~~~~

ZUCCHINI TORTE

4 cups zucchini -- grated
4 eggs -- well beaten
1 cup bisquick® baking mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 small onion -- grated

Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, baking mix, oil, Parmesan cheese and onion. Pour into a buttered 9X9" baking dish.
Bake for 1 hour, remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serves 8. (this makes the house smell wonderful as it bakes!)

Here is another great recipe that takes care of a bunch of extra zucchini/courgette... though it works better with smaller ones.

600-700g (1-1/2lb, circa) zucchini (courgette), not too big
frying oil (something light, sunflower, corn etc.)
2 cloves of garlic, minced.
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
good quality evoo
salt

Using mandolin or similar tool, slice up the zucchini very thin, in small circles.
Heat up the oil and fry the slices, to make something of zucchini crisps.
Dry the slices well on a few layers of paper towel.
Place them in a large bowl, toss with the garlic, balsamic vinegar, evoo (as much/little as preferred) and salt (see the amount for evoo).
Let it stand for at least half an hour to let the flavour settled in.

*An option for those who are conscious about the "deadly odour" of raw garlic... you can either roast the clove or sautè the minced garlic in a small amount of olive oil before tossing in.

**I found it suffice to use a type of oil that is less costly to fry up the veg, then add the drizzle of good olive oil. As the real high quality evoo tend to lose its distinctive aroma while being cooked, they are at their best when served uncooked.

A few weeks ago I was given courgette tortilla as part of a buffet, it was delectable and I have since made it for DH's lunch boxes, adding lots of onion sometimes for sweetness. Grating the courgettes gives the whole tortilla a lovely greenish colour....I go heavy on the veg and light on the egg, just enough to hold it together.

Back
Top Bottom