How much cabbage am I going to need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been tasked with making cabbage rolls for around 60 people. What I'm really looking for here is how much cabbage am I going to need? Here's what I think I'm going to need for ingredients;

10 lbs. Ground Beef
5 lbs. Cudaghi Sausage
1 doz. eggs
5 onions, diced
3 cups uncooked brown rice
24 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz. tomato paste
24 oz. canned, diced tomatoes
dried oregano
dried sweet basil
dried thyme
dried rosemary
1/4 cup sugar
2 heads green cabbage
2 heads purple cabbage
Salt
Pepper

Cheese will be shredded into a bowl and left for the people to use or not as they desire.

I think I might need more cabbage. I'm fairly sure about the amount of meat. Any advise on quantities of raw ingredients would be appreciated.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It depends on how many decent leaves you're going to get per head. Chances are, you won't get more than 10 or 12 nice large leaves. After that, they get a bit small and harder to roll because of the thicker vein. Unless you're dead set on the brown rice, I'd switch to white. The brown takes longer to cook...

OK and thanks. I'm now thinking that I should purchace 5 to 6 heads of cabbage. And yes, I know the brown rice takes more time to cook. But I am on a one-man crusade to increase the nutritonal information available to the people I meet. And I use brown rice at home for the added fiber and nutrition content it provides. I just want others to know that they can, if they desire, use it. And this way, they get to experience the difference in a not quite so dramatic way, and so are, I hope, more likely to accept it.:)

If you're intent on using brown rice, then I'd use the 10 minute variety. The rice cooks more slowly in the filling than it does when cooked alone.

Do you blanch your cabbage? I core the head, stick a big fork in the middle, and put the whole thing in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes (hold on to the fork). Remove, cut a few leaves loose, then put it back in the water again. The blanching makes the cabbage easier to work with. Save the cabbage from the core.

When you get ready to stuff a leaf, lay it out and cut the heavy rib out with a sharp knife, then overlap the two pieces.

After your cabbage rolls are put together, chop the cabbage from the core and lay it on the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of sauerkraut, put the cabbage rolls on top of that, and then pour your tomato juice or sauce over the top.

What kind of meat do you use in yours?

If you're intent on using brown rice, then I'd use the 10 minute variety. The rice cooks more slowly in the filling than it does when cooked alone.

Do you blanch your cabbage? I core the head, stick a big fork in the middle, and put the whole thing in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes (hold on to the fork). Remove, cut a few leaves loose, then put it back in the water again. The blanching makes the cabbage easier to work with. Save the cabbage from the core.

When you get ready to stuff a leaf, lay it out and cut the heavy rib out with a sharp knife, then overlap the two pieces.

After your cabbage rolls are put together, chop the cabbage from the core and lay it on the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of sauerkraut, put the cabbage rolls on top of that, and then pour your tomato juice or sauce over the top.

What kind of meat do you use in yours?

Yes, i blanched the cabbage. And for meat, I used a mixture of 2 parts ground beef, with one part Cudighi Sausage, with added salt, thyme, oregano, garlic, chopped onion, sweet basil, salt, and pepper, and 1 large egg for each pound of meat. The filling is great for a number of uses, including force meat, stuffings, meatballs, meatloaf, etc. I can change up the herbs and spices at will to achieve the flavor I need for a particular dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom