My shepherd's pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, 'in the kitchen', for you, I made 'Cumberland pie' for tea (lamb, carrot and cheese).

here's one for all to drool over:

and here's one just for you, 'in the kitchen':

cheers
Waaza

Recipe? Do you have the recipe to share? I just have the Chef's pie in the oven. ( Took Andy's measurements and figured t hey were correct). wazza, your 'pies' look delicious but do you put together from memory or did you have recipe? I am not the best at guess work so I thank you for showing me the pictures which look perfect but could you help with your version of pie? As I said, the lamb here is really expensive and I just have to make sure it is something 'special' before I use it. Lamb is so easy to digest also. Thanks

Recipe? Do you have the recipe to share? I just have the Chef's pie in the oven. ( Took Andy's measurements and figured t hey were correct). wazza, your 'pies' look delicious but do you put together from memory or did you have recipe? I am not the best at guess work so I thank you for showing me the pictures which look perfect but could you help with your version of pie? As I said, the lamb here is really expensive and I just have to make sure it is something 'special' before I use it. Lamb is so easy to digest also. Thanks

I think you are worrying too much. This is not a gourmet dish, it's every day home style comfort food, so exact measurements are not needed, and probably not wanted. It is an 'asembled dish' meaning you can put it together from what you have, and taste it as you go along, so that you will know what it will taste like before it goes in the oven.

Think of it as meat and gravy with mash potato, except that mash goes on top the meat and gravy, to cook a little longer in the oven. You could even make it from corned beef if you wanted. Just mix it with the best gravy you can make (hopefully with onions), then prepare the best mash you can (maybe with a raw egg added) put the meat and gravy in a dish, and add the mash topping. In the oven til it starts to brown. Et voila.

And the taste, just the job for a cold winter's day.:chef:

cheers
Waaza

Again!

AGAIN, I thank you all for your comments and of course special mention of buckytom and his input. Always gives me different perspective of the situation. I fixed according to the Chef's recipe and surprisingly everyone asked who had the recipe? Of course, since this was made according to Chef's instructions it turned out very special. The fact that the wine and fresh herbs were used helped. (Didn't look as good as yours waaza but my family has gotten past the idea of what it looks like. As long as it is not burned or worse doesn't taste good they are grateful.

Saying that it is dish to make to use up leftovers is more logical to me. Since I did make the lamb on Sunday Easter (per request) the leftover I had was used. Not very often do we 'splurge' with either lamb or steak, that way it is more special. I don't like to have leftover ham. Kind of getting burned out on ham. Not hard to put ham and side dishes together but leftover ham makes everyone get bored. Each his own choice. Only thankful we do have choice and some or more memorable than others. To all of you, appreciate this opportunity to get such quick response. Hope you all had enjoyable Easter dinner using the metric system. Hope you are right Andy, that it is easy?

I invented this version last week...
its quick and good...

what you need:
1-2 lbs browned hamburger meat with
or with out onions.
1 can corn drained
1 jar of boston market browned gravy or your fave.brand
instant potatoes prepared for 4-6 people
1 cup cheddar cheese

what to do:
mix hamburge and gravy,layer on botton
next the corn
top with the poatoes
sprinkle with cheese
season to your liking...

cook in preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
makes 1 8x8 pan...
:chef:

i am wondering if one could use cube steak. as it is tenderized , and if u cut into pieces and quickly saute , (don't want it crisp.) it should work, also i would add green beans along with the corn.

babe

A question to you all....do you have such a thing as Cottage Pie in the States? I ask because here in sheep country ( New Zealand) a Shepherds Pie is with lamb and a Cottage Pie with beef. Whats in a name, I know :rolleyes: ...but I am interested if any of you do a lamb one.:)

I personally do distinguish between the two and have found that restaurants in the US, if they know what they are doing, make the distinction as well.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, it seemed like we had cream style corn as a side dish at every meal. My sister was dating a guy who visited her at our house and was always invited for dinner. One day, he simply said "I hate corn." It was like my sister just sat there staring at him until somebody passed him the green beans.
After that, no matter what the two of them disagreed about, it was always his fault because he did not like corn! lol

:LOL:that's cute.

Back
Top Bottom