My shepherd's pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I invented this version last week...
its quick and good...

what you need:
1-2 lbs browned hamburger meat with
or with out onions.
1 can corn drained
1 jar of boston market browned gravy or your fave.brand
instant potatoes prepared for 4-6 people
1 cup cheddar cheese

what to do:
mix hamburge and gravy,layer on botton
next the corn
top with the poatoes
sprinkle with cheese
season to your liking...

cook in preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
makes 1 8x8 pan...
:chef:

Pook said:
Kim!!!!!
Your shepherd's pie is a keeper! I fixed it just as you directed only I added some sage and oregano to the ground turkey I substituted for the hamburger and not only did we love it, but hubby snatched another portion to take to work today for lunch instead of sandwiches.
This recipe is a keeper, folks! Thank you so much, Kim, I couldn't get hubby to go for ANY kind of shepherd's pie (too much gunk in them, with the recipes I had) but I read the ingredients over the phone to him at work yesterday and he agreed to try it. Wooooo!
Thanks so much, Kim!
Hugs,
Pook
thanks very much :) glad you liked it...

goboenomo said:
Why instant potatoes may I ask?
well thats just "my" recipe, Its supose to be quick and easy...
if you use potatoes and peel boil cook and mash its not quite so
quick and easy...

kimbaby said:
well thats just "my" recipe, Its supose to be quick and easy...
if you use potatoes and peel boil cook and mash its not quite so
quick and easy...

Ok, i was just asking. Because to me instant potatoes taste more like scalloped potatoes (or at least the ones my mom makes) than actual potatoes alone. I was just seeing if it was the taste of the instant potatoes you were looking for for this recipe.

goboenomo said:
Ok, i was just asking. Because to me instant potatoes taste more like scalloped potatoes (or at least the ones my mom makes) than actual potatoes alone. I was just seeing if it was the taste of the instant potatoes you were looking for for this recipe.

I think they add transfat preseratives to instant potatoes to give them a longer shelf life that might explain why they have that scalloped potato flavor.

StirBlue said:
I think they add transfat preseratives to instant potatoes to give them a longer shelf life that might explain why they have that scalloped potato flavor.

Yeah, that could explain it.
That could also explain why I get more and more sick of it everytime I have them. I have had them alot since I started dating Jillian. She hates any side dish her parents can think of, so they make her instant potatoes every meal, and I have to eat them with her.

When I was growing up, it seemed like we had cream style corn as a side dish at every meal. My sister was dating a guy who visited her at our house and was always invited for dinner. One day, he simply said "I hate corn." It was like my sister just sat there staring at him until somebody passed him the green beans.
After that, no matter what the two of them disagreed about, it was always his fault because he did not like corn! lol

Haha!
I don't eat at my girlfriend house much now that she's at school. But it may come. Well, maybe instead of saying it. I'll hint it, but taking less and less each time until it comes to a point when I offer to make real mashed potatoes instead! :LOL:

Gobo, just because the two of you are going together does not mean that both of you have to eat the very same things!! My hubby likes many things that I won't eat but I fix it for him and something else that I like. She more than likely was attracted to you for some of your differences; if you change completely over to her way, you will become boring to her after awhile. Just keep that in mind.

Shunka said:
Gobo, just because the two of you are going together does not mean that both of you have to eat the very same things!! My hubby likes many things that I won't eat but I fix it for him and something else that I like. She more than likely was attracted to you for some of your differences; if you change completely over to her way, you will become boring to her after awhile. Just keep that in mind.

I have reasons

Sometimes her parents will make too much for her to eat. So she asks me to help.
Sometimes they dont know I'm coming and they don't have enough of all the other side dishes.

But for the most part, I'm just a hungry guy. :pig:

Kimbaby, the combination of meat, cheese and corn topped with potatos sounds great! Never thought of adding corn.

A question to you all....do you have such a thing as Cottage Pie in the States? I ask because here in sheep country ( New Zealand) a Shepherds Pie is with lamb and a Cottage Pie with beef. Whats in a name, I know :rolleyes: ...but I am interested if any of you do a lamb one.:)

This thing with the mashed potatoes on top is not a shepherds pie at all. This dish was started sometime in the 1930's as an economical way to feed a large family. It is commonly known as a casserole. I don't know who started calling it a shepherds pie but that has been coined over the past 10-15 years.
I know that there are two types of shepherds pie, one with lamb and vegetables and one with vegetables only. The cottage pie has roast beef and vegetables. They are both baked in a pie crust with a crust topping. The chicken pie can sometimes have a biscuit topping.
For some reason we now have the pot pie (chicken, turkey, beef) which is most similar to a shepherds pie.
I do so love these pies as I am very fond of the crust.

Kim thanks for your Shepherds Pie. The basic is there. Everyone can make the adjustments they prefer. Sometimes you may have leftover mashed potatoes. These will work. Cheese...your choice. The whole idea is GRAND.
We need to be reminded of some suggestions for preparing. You have done this well. Thanks again.

Aria said:
Kim thanks for your Shepherds Pie. The basic is there. Everyone can make the adjustments they prefer. Sometimes you may have leftover mashed potatoes. These will work. Cheese...your choice. The whole idea is GRAND.
We need to be reminded of some suggestions for preparing. You have done this well. Thanks again.

very well put :chef:

I have to have real potatoes. I can't stand the taste of that instant stuff.
I have to say that shepherds pie recipe does look good. I'm going to have to try that. Only trouble is I'll have to make TWO! My wife is a vegetarian so I'll have to make one for me and one for her!

Last edited:
Kim, your recipe sounds great. My husband, Kim, and I will definately be trying it! (We work as a team, nowadays.)

In regard to the instant vs homemade mashed potatoes: If you have leftover homemade mashed potatoes, use those. Or, you can now by ready-to-eat mashed potatoes in the dairy case.

Personally, I have no objection to instant potatoes. I ate a lot of them, growing up. We also ate the boxed scalloped potatoes, and those little frozen boxes of vegetables...and were glad to get'em.
My mom worked days and my dad worked second shift, but she made sure we both got a good nutricious lunch every day. She got things started before she left in the mornings, then did the rest on her lunch hour. There were no crock-pots or micro-waves back then, either.

StirBlue said:
This thing with the mashed potatoes on top is not a shepherds pie at all. This dish was started sometime in the 1930's as an economical way to feed a large family. It is commonly known as a casserole. I don't know who started calling it a shepherds pie but that has been coined over the past 10-15 years.
I know that there are two types of shepherds pie, one with lamb and vegetables and one with vegetables only. The cottage pie has roast beef and vegetables. They are both baked in a pie crust with a crust topping. The chicken pie can sometimes have a biscuit topping.
For some reason we now have the pot pie (chicken, turkey, beef) which is most similar to a shepherds pie.
I do so love these pies as I am very fond of the crust.

Shepherds Pie was created in the north of England and in Scotland in the 18th century I believe. Heaps of sheep about those areas and plenty of potatos also, and potato was always used as a topping. The recipe obviously arrived in the USA with immigrants, but here in New Zealand we have been eating it with a potato top for as long as we have had recipe books!!:) And we usually add a healthy slosh of ketchup to the plate as well.:rolleyes:
Must try it with corn and cheese next time tho'...it does sound good.

Back
Top Bottom