Ralph - A Rice Casserole on the Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This is a dish that can be made to serve as many people as needed. It is easy, very tasty, and makes you feel warm all over. It was originally made as a casserole, baked in the oven. I make it on the stove top and it comes out so very good. So now, I share it with you.

Ralph

History:
T
his dish is a wonderful main course any time of the year. It is flavorful without being overpowering. It is a true comfort food. Ralph was introduced to me by my y wife, shortly after we married. I loved it at first bite. It found its way into mother-in-law’s kitchen,via a church pot luck, where the recipe was given out. She used it to feed four children and a husband with a huge appetite. Though it was enjoyed by all, it didn’t have name. So one evening, at least in the story I was told, the question was put forth at the dinner table for a name. My wife, little rascal that she was at the time, piped up, “Ralph”. The rest is history.

Full Batch, Original Recipe Ingredients:
4 ½ cups water pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 tbs. Better-Than-Bouilllon Chicken Soup Base (my addition to this recipe)
1 cup Long Grain Rice
1 cup Chopped Celery
¼ cup Slivered Almonds (optional)
1 Onion, diced
2 lbs. Ground beef, browned

Place all ingredients into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Test to make sure the rice is done. Serve.

Modified for a family of 4 to 5
Ingredients:
2 ¾ cup water
1 pkg. Lipton’s Chicken Soup
1 ½ lbs. Ground beef, browned
1 stalk Celery, sliced
¾ cup diced Onion
2 tbs. butter.

Combine all ingredients into a suitable pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for 25 minutes. Serve hot with butter and a green vegie or salad.

Did I say that I really like this stove top casserole?

Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's 1 cup of uncooked rice. I made this just last night. That's what inspired me to post the recipe. It was very tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'd like to try it Chief, as it sounds tasty.

My issue is how can the full recipe call for 1 cup of rice to 4 1/2 cups of water, and the smaller recipe also call for 1 cup of rice to 2 3/4 cups of water? Proportions have to be off somewhere, right?

I'd like to try it Chief, as it sounds tasty.

My issue is how can the full recipe call for 1 cup of rice to 4 1/2 cups of water, and the smaller recipe also call for 1 cup of rice to 2 3/4 cups of water? Proportions have to be off somewhere, right?

My bad. You are correct. I should have said 2 cups of rice. Be aware that this will make a lot of Ralph. However, it can be portioned and frozen. It freezes well.

When serving, add a little butter to increase the richness.

I have also changed the recipe by adding grated carrot, or chopped water chestnuts.. The primary flavors of this dish are chicken, ground beef, celery, and onion. The rice and vermicelli noodles along with the ground beef, make for a smooth texture with the crisp celery slices, and chunks of ground beef adding a counterpoint.

When DW isn't havng any, for whatever reason, I will add a bit of sage and black pepper. Thyme works in this as well.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Anyone ever try this? It's really tasty:). If using the 2 cups of rice recpe, use two pacjets of Lipton's Soup with Chicken, or add Better Than Bullion to taste.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom