Shepherd's Pie Topping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I want to make the above with lamb, peas, carrots and wonder if anyone can suggest a topping that is not mashed potatoes. Just trying to come up with something different. If mashed potatoes is the topping of choice, would you also put grated cheese on top, and what kind?

Thanks.

You could put a homemade pie crust top but that would be more like a pot pie. Cheese on the mashed potatoes is fine, as far as the kind, there is nothing wrong or right, there are SO many types of cheese, anything you like is great.

I like to make my mashed potato topping with compound butter made with bleu cheese.

Here is an idea I just had, I don't know if it would be any good. You could try bread crumbs or even toping the pie with stuffing.

Pureed cooked cauliflower provides a similar texture to mashed potatoes but an interesting flavour.

Just boil the heck out of a bunch of cauliflower, drain, and puree. (add in some S&P, butter and/or milk if you so desire)

Any of these ideas would work, but don't call the result Shepherd's Pie. To be SP, the topping should be mashed potatoes.

Andy M. said:
Any of these ideas would work, but don't call the result Shepherd's Pie. To be SP, the topping should be mashed potatoes.

Hehe... would calling it "Shepard's Pie Inspired" or "Shepard's Pie-esque" work? :-p

I saw Paula Deen doing an episode on English Pub Food after she and Michael took a trip to London.
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top. I can't remember all the details, but it looked scrumptious.

I looked for the episode, but it's not listed.

PS...I did a search, and here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda...OOD_9936_33268_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Last edited:
mashies are traditional, but do what you like. Yes cheese is often mixed in or grated on top. I like parmesan with mashies. I would do chopped green onion, parmesan, and a little sour cream in my spuds

or you could try a stuffing type topping... with cheddar cheese or some type of cheese drizzled on top...
good luck in your search:)

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. I agree that to be called Shepherd's Pie it must be mashed potatoes on top. All of the others look so good, I'm going to try them on various casseroles as I make them.

Thanks again.

Ripliancum said:
You could try bread ... topping the pie with stuffing.

GREAT idea! I'll take stuffing over mashed potatoes any day! I'm going to try this!

Lee

Constance said:
I saw Paula Deen doing an episode on English Pub Food after she and Michael took a trip to London.
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top. I can't remember all the details, but it looked scrumptious.

I looked for the episode, but it's not listed.

PS...I did a search, and here's the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_33268_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

Thank you Constance. this looks really good and I'm going to try it next week.

In the UK, shepherd's pie and cottage pie always have the meat and/or veg underneath and the potatoes on top.

When we were kids, my brother didn't like mashed potatoes (would eat them any other way, just not mashed). My mum would often make a savoury choux pastry 'hat' for the casserole dish - cook it and then plonk it on the top just before serving!

Constance said:
She made a fabulous looking shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on the bottom, topped with a layer of leftover roast beef and gravy, peas and carrots, and then a layer of bisquit batter over the top. She used baking mix, and made the batter about the thickness of pancake batter, then poured melted butter over the top.]

That does sound good, but its not Shepard's Pie!

Shepard's pie the meat must be lamb or mutton, beef in it makes it Cottage Pie. A small difference but an important one!

I have to say, that variatios on a theme are lovely, but "proper" shepard's or cottage pie is a great meal. As a cheat's improvement that I used to use on fussy eaters when I was an au pair I used to put a layer of baked beans between the meat and the mash. The meat I crammed full of hidden veg...finely diced carrot and celery, onion and even finely chopped green beans, whatever I could hide in there I did! One kid really liked it when I melted chedder or emental cheese into the baked bean layer.

My favourite variation is my sister's, a middle eastern interpretation, lighter and more summery. Some raisins and gentle spice (cinnamon, tuneric etc) with the lamb and then instead of potato she mashes chick peas and celeriac togather and sprinkles pine nuts on the top.

Another topping could be an oaty savoury 'crumble' Put on top of the minced beef/lamb/veggie combo - dot with butter and put into the oven.

I agree that it has to be mashed potato with a cheddar cheese topping. Having said that there is no reason not to try some varieties. I particularly like the sound of bumblebee's cauli puree. Sounds delicios. Other options could be to make herbed dumplings and float them on the top of the meat, or to just sprinkle bread crumbs, herbs and cheese on the top. It is all making me hungery...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom