Tater-Topped Casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ol-blue

Sous Chef
I got this from my Kraft Food and Family Magazine. I doubled the recipe and made this in my Dutch oven.
Enjoy! Debbie

Tater-Topped Casserole

img_681258_0_34dd4bda368254aca8d1d8fbbee0e424.jpg

Recipe http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/tater-topped-casserole-111257.aspx

I grew up on this casserole. It's nice to see it making a comeback.....or maybe it never left! Anyhow it's really easy and really good!

This was one of the very few dishes my sister has ever made successfully!! She has been making it for years now....even SHE couldn't mess it up! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

I made a tater tot casserole recently with manwich... I guess you could top all kinds of casseroles with tater tots. I must admit yours looks WAY better than mine turned out!

This was one of the very few dishes my sister has ever made successfully!! She has been making it for years now....even SHE couldn't mess it up! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

aren't you a sweet sister........meowwwwww..........must be the Debbie the Devil in us....:ROFLMAO: goodness that looks good......Ol, Blue , everything you post looks yummy.....thanks!

I like the concept but would probably try to tweak it so that it would not have so many processed/prepared foods. That's the main problem I have with recipes from companies like Kraft. I know that part of its popularity is that it's easy to make, but I think it would benefit from fresh ingredients. JMO.

I think you're right Suzy but, I also think their idea is for busy working people with children, after school activities etc that don't want to eat fast food all the time. Or frozen. So they make something like this that is at least a little bit homemade.

I think you're right Suzy but, I also think their idea is for busy working people with children, after school activities etc that don't want to eat fast food all the time. Or frozen. So they make something like this that is at least a little bit homemade.

I understand, and I can see using these ingredients once in a while when in a pinch. But generally, people (especially children) benefit from relying on fresher ingredients as opposed to prepared, which tends to be high in fat, sugar, sodium, and who knows what else.

And there really are loads of simple recipes that don't have multiple prepared or processed foods in them. But even if it takes a few more minutes, I think the habit it instills in children is very much worth it.

YUMMY! One can make their own cream soup base, use their own potatoes...
But, all things in moderation, a casserole like this sure beats another happy meal.

And imagine the fat and calories. I really can't see some of the women I've seen working 9/10 hours and coming home to peel potatoes,etc and then take the kids to soccer and ballet all within half hours time. I know some woman that have less than 20 minutes to get something on the table before they have to be out the door again. I feel for them, I also think things like this have their place for now. Until we can go back to dad working and mom staying home all the time we don't always have that luxury.
Perhaps they can do their fresh ing. on the week-end when they have more time.

One could always use a low-sodium version of the canned soup...
I wouldn't hesitate to serve this recipe, as is, to my family. The picture is fabulous!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom