Whats Your Favorite Casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pdswife said:
1lb hamburger
1 large sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cups raw rice ( I use a little less)
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 can tomato soup plus 1/2 can water
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
Sounds perfectly yummy, but it also sounds like stuffed peppers, minus the peppers.

:LOL:

The real recipe had green peppers in it Sheri but...hubby doesn't like green peppers. I sometimes sneak some red pepper chunks into this though.

pdswife said:
The real recipe had green peppers in it Sheri but...hubby doesn't like green peppers. I sometimes sneak some red pepper chunks into this though.
Woohoo! I got somethin right! lol

Issaquah's much larger than 7k tho isn't it? (I'm from bellevue...)

Oh. That's the number of posts, not the population....

Sigh. Why couldn't I quit while I was ahead?

sherifffruitfly said:
Woohoo! I got somethin right! lol

Issaquah's much larger than 7k tho isn't it? (I'm from bellevue...)

Oh. That's the number of posts, not the population....

Sigh. Why couldn't I quit while I was ahead?

LOL! Yep..Issy is growing very quickly.
It's good to see someone else from Washington here.
There are a few of us scattered around but not many.:):)

I know what a casserole is. :rolleyes: And I don't much care for them. I know that not every recipe calls for cream-of soup, but lots do. I know that not all of them call for meat, but the majority do. (There are five recipes posted here in this thread and each one of them calls for meat of some kind. :-p)

To top it all off, most are mushy. I'm not a huge fan of food (especially my vegetables!!) that is cooked until it's squishy. :sick:

Z

Zereh said:
I know what a casserole is. :rolleyes: And I don't much care for them. I know that not every recipe calls for cream-of soup, but lots do. I know that not all of them call for meat, but the majority do. (There are five recipes posted here in this thread and each one of them calls for meat of some kind. :-p)

To top it all off, most are mushy. I'm not a huge fan of food (especially my vegetables!!) that is cooked until it's squishy. :sick:

Z

Are you vegetarian or just don't like cassaroles?

casseroles r just dishes with internal and external binding agents right...mac and cheese! but most ppl don't put stuff on top of the cheese and noodles to bind it...like bread crumbs + oven toasting

pdswife said:
1lb hamburger
1 large sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 cups raw rice ( I use a little less)
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 can tomato soup plus 1/2 can water
1 15 oz can tomato sauce

Saute hamburger and onions and garlic
Drain.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the rest of the list together. The rice cooks in the oven.
Add the meat. Pace in a baking dish and bake for 1 1/2 hour 350 degrees.
until most of the liquid is gone.

You know, I have a head of cabbage in the fridge, along with some cooked burger and sweet Italian sausage left from making spaghetti sauce the other night. My husband hates cabbage, but I could whip this up real quick for me to lunch on! Thanks for sharing, pds!

You show me yours....

auntdot said:
I guess it all depends upon the mood I am in and how one wishes to define a casserole.

Love scalloped potatoes with Parmesan cheese.

Can make a great potato casserole with cheese and ham.
....I'll show you mine:LOL:
I make a standard ham/scallop potatoes, straight out of Bettey Crocker, bechemel sauce, cooks thirty minutes covered and one hour uncovered. Well, 30 years ago, I decided to top it with grated cheddar cheese and Pepperidge Farm herb seasoned dressing in the final thirty minutes. My boys think that's the greatest think since Christmas. It is reallly good. And yours...

Michelemarie said:
I love all casseroles - but my favorites would have to be potato-cheese with crunchy topping,
Me too - I love cheesy potatoes. No carbs in that, right?:LOL: Tater-tot casserole is a close second.

one pk pork chops
lay in single layer in baking dish
cover with slices of onion and green pepper
put one large spoonful of rice (not cooked) on top of each pork chop under the rings of pepper and onion
cover with two cans of tomato soup (rinse cans with a little water and use this too)
seal top with tin foil and bake 350 for about 1 1/2 hours or until pork chops fall apart.

Tilly, that sounds good - I think it would be okay to subtitute cream of mushroom for tomato soup - my daughter doesn't like tomato. Also, do you use instant rice or long grain?

yes it does tilly,I wish I would have cooked that last night,Iget so tired of fried pork chops/shake and bake ect... that would have been a nice change!!! :)

Last edited:
by casserole you are meaning a one pot meal? Hope so. Every country and region has them...national pride all around them...It's not Thanksgiving with the green bean casserole (for example) or beans and franks or...

love chili, really, so many kinds, so many regions, so many great flavors. yeh, chili!
course mac n cheese is dang fine...lol

Back
Top Bottom