A favorite beef and veggie soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purple.alien.giraffe

Executive Chef
I know this looks like an odd and exessive mix of ingredients but it's actually really good and is a favorite of mine and the hubby's.

Slowcooker Beef Soup

1/2 lb beef roast, cubed
1/4 rutabega, pealed and diced
1 sweet potato or a couple of carrots, pealed and diced
1/2 small acorn squash, pealed and diced
3 stalks bok choy, with leaves
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small can sliced water chestnuts
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp dried ginger
1/2 tsp ground corriander
1/4 tsp allspice
Dash of ground cloves
Black pepper to taste
1 cup water

In the morning, brown roast on all sides and add to the slow cooker. Add all remaining ingredients except the bok choy. Set to low or medium and let cook until the evening (about 4 hours minimum if you're getting a late start).

About 2 hours before meal time, remove the leaves from the bok choy and chop them. Slice the stalk of the bok choy. Add it and the chopped leaves to the slow cooker and stir everything. The meat at the bottom should be starting to shred. Once everything is mixed put the lid back on and continue cooking until dinner time. Give it one last gentle stir before searving. A nice crusty chunk of bread is really good along side it.

Yeh, I'm having this for dinner tomorrow night. And PAG, I have that chuck roast that we ate half of, you know, the one cooked on the grill, sliced up very thin and ready for sandwiches. It's medium rare throughout.

It's so great having munchkins who grew into adults that can cook. That's why we brought them into the world, don'tcha know.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That sounds like "this is what the garden produced, what do I do with it" and this is what I have in the fridge/freezer...my kind of recipe! Although, the hens ate all the bok choy (lesson learned, don't let the hens in the garden if there are things you still want to harvest). And, sounds like a good combo for a veggie soup if you don't have the beef.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom