Chicken and Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicole

Washing Up
I used to make this awsome chicken and dumplings in a crock pot that you cooked for 8 hrs. It had heavy cream, thym, potatos, ch. broth etc. The dumplings were made from bisquick and you threw herbs in that also. well, I lost it :cry: can someone help me with another one thats just as good and creamy?

nicole
I would love to try that recipe. Hopefully someone has a recipe that is close to it. I will post my favorite chicken and dumpling recipe for you, but I think it will be quite a bit different then the one you are looking for.

Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings

1 whole fryer or hen
2 sprigs parsley
1 carrot
1 stalk celery
1 small onion, quartered
4 peppercorns
1/2 t. salt per lb. of chicken
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 T. butter- I find that country crock works the best for this recipe
1 can cream of chicken soup

dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
5 T. butter, melted
2 eggs

Stew chicken parsley, carrot, celery, onion, peppercorn, and salt until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and vegetables until you are left with the stock. Add bouillon cube, butter, and cream of chicken soup. Stir until blended.

To make dumplings: Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add butter and egg and mix until smooth adding very small amounts of boiling water if needed so that dough forms a ball. roll dough out on flour coated surface until very thin. Cut into strips or squares.

Bring broth to boil and drop dumplings in boiling broth. Debone chicken and add to broth. Cool all for 45 minutes over low heat.

Chicken & Dumplings (Crockpot)

This is the closest thing I could find to your request.

Chicken & Dumplings (CrockPot)
4 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion -- chopped
3 pounds your favorite chicken parts -- cut up
2 cups chicken broth
2 stalks celery
1 tablespoon minced parsley
2 carrots -- peeled, sliced
1 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 cup dry white wine (optional but really adds a nice taste)
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons flour

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a large skillet, brown onion in butter and oil just until tender, then brown chicken parts and place all in a 6-quart crockpot.

Add remaining ingredients except heavy cream, flour and biscuits. Cook on high 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or on low 5 to 7 hours.

When chicken is done, remove pieces to plate and let cool, then debone.

While chicken is cooling, mix flour and cream together, then stir into crockpot.

Open biscuits and cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Drop into crockpot and turn on high. These will need to cook about 30 minutes, until they are firm.

Return chicken meat to crockpot after deboning and serve.

You can use your own homemade biscuit recipe for canned if you prefer.

Those sound so good I will have to try them both. Thank you. I was thinking of you kitchenelf when I ws typing this. I figured you would have one :D

lol - I do have one and I put quite a bit of thyme in mine - I even put some thyme and poultry seasoning in my dumplings. These dumplings are really easy to make - I've never done the other dumplings but I've heard they are just as good.

Check out my recipe here

Nicole, found this recipe today and I remembered your post. This looked somewhat close so I thought I would post it for you.

Crockpot Chicken and Herb Dumplings
3 pound whole chicken

salt and pepper

2 cloves minced garlic

1/4 tablespoon powdered marjoram

1/4 teaspoon powdered thyme

1 bay leaf

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup sour cream

1 cup Bisquick baking mix

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

6 tablespoons milk

10 small white onions

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, place in crockpot. Insert cloves in one onion. Put all onions into pot. Add garlic, marjoram, thyme, bay leaf and wine. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaf and cloves. Stir in sour cream.

Increase heat to high. Combine biscuit mix with parsley, stir in milk and mix until well moistened. Drop dumplings from teaspoon around edge of pot. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.

This soup will give you a creamy version of what you described. It tastes awesome.

I didn't take the time to list the ingredients so please get from the rest of the text.

Debone aand skin a large chicken (about 3 lbs. worth). Throw the bones and skin into a pot with about three cups chicken stock. Add 2 stalks celery, sliced, and two sliced carrots. Chop an onion into leaves and add to the stock.

Let this boil for about 15 minutes, then strain to remove the bones, skin, and veggies. Place the liquid back into the pot.

Place 3 tbs. butter into a warm skillet. Whn the butter is melted, add an equal amount of all-purpose flour and stir until well mixed. Slowly ladle chicken stock into the roux and stir until aborbed. Add another ladle-full of stock and stir again. Repeat this process until a smooth sauce is formed. Slowly pour the sauce into the hot stock, and stir until combined.

Cut the chicken meat into 1/2 inch cubes and stir-fry in 2 tbs. sunflower oil until very lightly browned on all sides. REmove from heat and lightly salt.

For the dumplings, measure 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour into a bowl. Add 2 tsp. double-acting baking powder and a half tsp. salt. stir together with a whisk. Add 1 large egg, 2 tbs. oil, and about a half cup of water. Stir until mixed, but don't overmix. Spoon dumpling batter into the simmering soup by dropping a heaping tbs. of batter in. The batter will float on top and cook into dumplings. Cover and allow to steam until the dumplings are done.

Remove the cooked dumplings from the soup. Serve by filling bowls 3/4 full, adding the cooked chicken cubes, and topping with a dumpling. If you want, sprinkle freshly grated cheddar cheese over the top.

This soup can be thicken by adding more blonde sauce, or thinned by adding cream. Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

For my dumplings, I break two eggs into a 2 cup measuring cup, beat them lightly with a fork, and fill the rest of the way with cooled, seasoned chicken broth (I always add a few drops of yellow food coloring to my broth for appearance). Put 3 cups flour into a big bowl with a pinch of salt, make well in center, and work broth/egg mixture into the flour. Flour your board (I use a pastry cloth and a mitt on my rolling pin), and put half the dough on the board. Work enough flour into it to make it workable, remembering that the more flour you use, the tougher the dumplings will be. Roll very thin, and cut into strips, then squares with a pizza cutter. Drop dumplings into boiling chicken broth a few at a time as you cut them, and let cook, stirring occasionally, until they float to the top. Add chicken meat to broth, and let simmer.

Back
Top Bottom