Chicken Thighs vs. Chicken Leg Quarters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
I usually use bone in chicken thighs in crock pot recipes. My wife just found a sale on chicken leg quarters and came home with a 10# bag. These legs are on the small side so I'm hoping I can substitute these for the thighs. Does anyone know what the cooking time would be?

That will work fine...

When I find a sale on quarters, I separate and save one or the other for a different recipe... Doubles the meals... ;)

Ross

When those bags of little leg quarters go on sale, I like to simmer with vegetables and herbs until 1/2 -1 hour, pull the meat and return everything else to simmer a few hours for stock.
Like everybody else said, cooking time for leg quarters would be about the same as thighs alone. At a simmer, it's a wide window for chicken dark meat.

I usually use bone in chicken thighs in crock pot recipes. My wife just found a sale on chicken leg quarters and came home with a 10# bag. These legs are on the small side so I'm hoping I can substitute these for the thighs. Does anyone know what the cooking time would be?

Joint them, use the thighs as you normally do and save the drumsticks for another day. I do this quite often. Quarters are usually a bit less per pound than either thighs or legs, so buying them that way and cutting them apart is what I do when I don't want to risk overcooking the leg portion.

And another thing, since we're talking about chicken parts, will someone explain how those itty bitty chicken quarters carry around those huge Dolly size breasts they sell??

I just don't like drumsticks at all, at any price, so personally I'd save them for stock.

Drumsticks and wings... the best part of the chick. Then thighs, the breast comes last. Growing up, everyone fought over the dark meat - even the back and neck went before the white meat - the breast was always left over for chicken sandwiches the next day.

Souschef wanted to do just that but I told him if he wanted to live till morning, he better not.

I picture you looking just like the woman in your avatar! :angel:

The chef that made the Giuseppe's bolognese I copykatted and posted used chicken legs for the chicken that goes in the recipe. He stuck them in upside down with the little knob ends sticking out in the DDD episode. I figured he must buy chicken leg quarters at a good price and that's how he used up the legs, cause it's certainly easier to shred thighs. I prefer just thighs now, but as a kid I loved the drumsticks.

And another thing, since we're talking about chicken parts, will someone explain how those itty bitty chicken quarters carry around those huge Dolly size breasts they sell??

Those are different chickens. I buy chicken by case and there is a choice 3 pound chickens or 5 pound chickens, the 5 ponders look almost like small turkeys with huge breast.

And all together .... eeeh, no I better not go there. :blush:

That reminds me of the turkey drumstick which served me two dinners and a round of sandwiches - I sure wouldn't want to meet the turkey that came off in a dark alley!!!

Lol, our chickens our now 5-10 lbs but dad used to religiously get them back 10-13 lbs.

Now if I want that I have to go get a turkey. I’ve realized over the past while with different shopping etc that we used to grow awesomely big chickens.

Back
Top Bottom