Is it okay to cook an actual steak in the slow cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilybean

Assistant Cook
I don't have currently have access to any other cooking methods (other than microwave lol). If so, can you give me some ideas for what liquids to use and what sides will go well and how to arrange them in the crock? I think it's some type of sirloin. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a good stew is in order.

Cube up the steak in big chunks and place on top of potatoes,carrots and onions in that order. Add a half bottle of red wine and a can of beef broth. you can also add some fresh herbs like thyme, or rosemary and some parsley.Add some water if needed to just cover the food.

You could substitute the wine for a beer and use boullion/water instead of broth. The potatoes could be turnips etc.

Another way could be to slice up a couple of onions and add the cubed beef and a bottle of BBQ sauce with enough water to cover. this could make some pretty good sandwiches.

Last edited:
Thanks! The only thing is just last week I cooked pot roast arggh....

I do this with meatballs but the steak would work too.

Cube up the steak and add a jar or two of alfredo sauce depending on how much beef you have. Add 2- cans of mushrooms and a big handfull of chopped sun dried tomatoes. I served with pasta but you could put some potatoes in bottom before the other stuff instead.

I do this with meatballs but the steak would work too.

Cube up the steak and add a jar or two of alfredo sauce depending on how much beef you have. Add 2- cans of mushrooms and a big handfull of chopped sun dried tomatoes. I served with pasta but you could put some potatoes in bottom before the other stuff instead.

That actually sounds very similar to a dish served at Olive Garden. I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

I don't have currently have access to any other cooking methods (other than microwave lol). If so, can you give me some ideas for what liquids to use and what sides will go well and how to arrange them in the crock? I think it's some type of sirloin. Thanks in advance.

You can cook the steak in a microwave. Put it in a pyrex dish, season w/ s&p if you wish, sprinkle on some worcestershire sauce, cover loosely w/ wax paper. Cook at about 50% power, turn halfway thru cooking. Add in sliced onion and mushrooms, if you want. You can nuke a potato (wash and puncture with tines of a fork), or vegetable of choice.

Last edited:
You could cube it up smaller dice and make chili. If there are leftovers, you could nuke a baked potato another time and have chili gravy or make burritos from leftovers. A steak is always useful.

Sure you can use a crock pot, and you really don't have to cube it up if you don't want to. However if it's just a steak (rather than a thick roast), you can do it stove top in a deep pan or pot as well.

Anyway it can be done in about an hour with little maintenance on your part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure you can use a crock pot, and you really don't have to cube it up if you don't want to. However if it's just a steak (rather than a thick roast), you can do it stove top in a deep pan or pot as well.

Too bad they wont let me post a helpful Youtube video here, because I do have one on this exact topic. Anyway it can be done in about an hour with little maintenance on your part.

OP doesn't have a stove. Micro or Crock pot only.

I would try cooking some flanken (shirt ribs cut other way) if your sick of pot roast that is my go to slow cooker meat.

Ps: the new fancy slow cookers have a searing mechanism. Perhaps of your has that ability you can "Pan fry" in it

Beef Stroganoff with some white rice and a green or fruit salad would be great.
Kadesma

If you havent already bought the steak, don't.

Buy cheap chuck roast or round roast meat instead.

I'm with Jenny on this.

If I had no other means of cooking a steak properly at home, I'd consider buying two steaks and taking them to a friends house to cook them.

A steak needs intense heat, be it a skillet, broiler or grill.

Kayelle said:
I'm with Jenny on this.

If I had no other means of cooking a steak properly at home, I'd consider buying two steaks and taking them to a friends house to cook them.

+1

I'm with Jenny on this.

Or turn it into tatare.

A good ole german crock recipie:

Country pork ribs
Shredd a potato
Cover with saurkraut. If ther's not enough moisture in the kraut add a little water to cover it.
After it cooks all day finish it off with some homemade dumplings (or use bisquick)
Your whole house will smell good!

A good ole german crock recipie:

Country pork ribs
Shredd a potato
Cover with saurkraut. If ther's not enough moisture in the kraut add a little water to cover it.
After it cooks all day finish it off with some homemade dumplings (or use bisquick)
Your whole house will smell good!

HUH? Sounds like a great dish but you must have posted to the wrong thread. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Steaks are among the most prime cuts of meat because they are taken from the most tender, juicy parts of the animal. These tender cuts benefit from searing over high heat and fast cooking, where the tenderness is least affected.

Slow cookers are usually used upon tough cuts that are not suitable for quick searing like steaks, but rather rely on long cooking to break them down into tenderness. These cuts are usually cheaper because they are less desirable, tougher, require long cooking times like braising or pot roasting.

If you have only a microwave and slow cooker then you should focus on recipes that benefit them. In this case instead of buying steaks you should buy the cheaper, tougher, less expensive cuts and then use your slow cooker to advantage and cook them for long times (several hours).

So in a word about cooking steaks in a slow cooker: don't.

Waste of time, waste of money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom