ISO Crock Pot Chile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Cook
Ok, here's the criteria:

1. No beans
2. Something with a kick, but not TNT
3. Pretty Hearty

I have tried a few from various books but to no success.

Thanks in advance!

I would think most recipes for chili would work in a crock pot. What seems to be the problem with using the crock pot?

Why don't you peruse the chili recipes here for some ideas? There are tons of great and different ideas.

As for adapting them to the crockpot, I would brown the meat/veg as called for in any of the recipes, then add to the crockpot with all the other ingredients. You'll have to play around with the time; even if you were using a crockpot adapted recipe, I've found that all crockpots, like all microwaves, are not equal!:chef:

Ditto what marm said.

If you put some uncooked meat in a crockpot for chili (ground beef, steak cubes, pork cubes, etc) you are gonna get way more grease than you bargained for, and you've got better things to do than skim all that stuff off.

The rest kinda depends on why you want to do your chili in the crockpot - so it's done when you get home? so the flavors meld better?

What is it you want to put in your pot with the meat?

I do my chili in the crock pot. I started out with a basic cookbook recipe years and years ago and built on it. Adding different things along the way. I know most of it off the top of my head, but not all. It seems like I'm always adding to the recipe as I go along. It started in one crock 10 years ago then moved to two crocks and is now in an 18qt roaster. But it goes a long way when I'm done cooking.

You might take a basic recipe and just start adding jalapenos, green pepper, various dried or fresh chiles, anything you think would add to it and eventually create your own unique recipes. The crock is great because you can cook it for 6 hours or 24 days.

I used to make chili in the crockpot, but I would brown the ground beef first in a skillet. If you use lean ground beef you can probably get by with not draining it. My biggest pot is 3.5 qts, so if I am making a large batch of chili the crockpot is the way to go. I prefer a regular pot though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom