Lamb Stew Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
Let's say I have about a pound of cubed lamb, that I floured and browned 16oz of beef stock (what I had) in a K/A Slow cooker set to high. Let's say that I have about a dozen plam sized red skinned potatos that are quartered and a green and a red pepper that are in thick slivers ready to go in. Lets say I have some crimini mushrooms, some onion, , some peas and some corn, carrots and celery, that I also want to put in, cause, really I dont like vegetables but I know I need them.

In what order would you add things?

seperate the mushrooms, peas, corn, and onion. dump everything else in, and add enough liquid so that everything's 1/2 submerged.
brown the onions, add into pot.
when the meat is becoming tender, add corn, peas, and mushrooms.

I don't do a lot of crockpot cooking, but if I had what you had, I'd probably put half the beef stock into the crockpot & put the potatoes in that, then put the lamb on top of the potatoes & the rest of the veggies on top of that. Since crockpot cooking always produces a lot of liquid, I'd save the rest of the beef stock just in case you feel the stew needs more liquid once it's done.

But like I said, I don't do a lot of crockpot cooking, so someone with more experience may wish to weigh in here.

I would do it just like Breezy said. As she said, Crock pot cooking produces more liquid than what you start with so 16oz of stock would probably be too much.

I am eating the stew now, or at least the vegetables out of it. The K/A cooker is faster than my crockpot. There is a lot of liquid in there... can I save some of it for the next batch if I freeze it?
The things that I think I will do differently next time...
When I flour and brown the meat, would it be useful to use some wine to deglaze the pan? I used a cast iron this time but I have SS to.
I wish the potatos had more flavor in them... I have no idea how to do that
I wish the stew liquid had a little bit more body and or flavor to it. It's definitely stew and not vege's in water this time, but i want it to have a little more umph to it. something short of adding cream to it.

Try throwing in a bay leaf or two and maybe some thyme or rosemary. (fresh, just a couple of sprigs. you can dig them out later.)You didn't mention any seasonings at all. I assume that you at least salt and peppered the meat before you started. A little garlic would be a good thing, as well.

I like to layer flavors and here is how I make my lamb stew:

I like to season my lamb first. I coat the lamb with a nice amount (1tbsp each) dry spices (I make mine fresh). Ground corriander, cumin and chili powder and a splash of white vinegar. I also like to add a pinch of cinnamon, black pepper and cloves. I like the flavors to marry atleast for an hour.

Next I cut up my veggies. I like to use pearl onions, small baby red potatoes and red bell peppers. (cut into small squares) You can use whatever else you like.

I also like to use a good amount of tomatoes in my stew. So 3 or so large tomatoes finely chopped.

In a pan add some oil (olive oil is fine) and add some garlic and bay leaves and cook until it's slightly golden. Next add the potatoes and cook until slightly golden. Next add the marinated lamb. Saute that some more and add the tomatoes and then some water (a cup or two). I also like to add a pinch of brown sugar and some stone ground mustard. I then cover and cook this until the lamb is tender. I like to saute my bell peppers and onions seperately and then just stir it into the stew in the end so they keep their texture.

Ensure salt and other seasonings are to your taste. Garnish with parsley and serve with plain rice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom