Mish's Stuffed Peppers - TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
The amounts are approximate. When I prepare the peppers in the slow cooker, I use about 4-5 large peppers - whatever will fit. Pick an assortment of colors - red, yellow, green.

Cut off the tops of the peppers & save, disgard the seeds & cut a slice off the bottoms (so they stand upright in the cooker).

Prepare about 1- 1 1/2 cups rice or couscous & set aside. Saute about 1 - 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or sausage, w chopped garlic and chopped onions; drain the fat (or your peppers will be soggy). Sprinkle the mixture w about a tbl of cinnamin, add about a handful of raisins & 2 tbls tomato paste. Mix in the couscous (or rice).

Stuff the peppers w the mixture, place in cooker, sprinkle with shredded cheese (cheddar or whatever you like), pour diced chopped tomatoes w juices or tomato sauce over the peppers. Cover the peppers with tops you set aside. Cook on low for about 4-5 hours. Time is approximate. Cook longer if necessary.

This is a comfort dish I like served with mac and cheese & garlic bread. Mashed potatoes are good too -- pour the tomato juices over the taters.

Last edited:
Mish,
I can tell you without even mixing this up for the first time, that DH, would eat himself into stuffed pepper heaven:LOL: Will give this one a try real soon..Thanks..

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
.. DH, would eat himself into stuffed pepper heaven:LOL: Will give this one a try real soon..Thanks.. kadesma:)

Stuffed pepper heaven :LOL: Thank you, kads ;)

For the couscous, I used Casbah Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil. Near East has some interesting flavors (like pine nut), I want to try. Here's a look at their products & recipes:

Near East - Rice Pilaf and Couscous

callie said:
mish! i just got a new slow cooker - can't wait to try this. thanks.

Callie, hope you have as much fun experimenting with your new cooker as I did, when I first bought mine. I have a Rival programmable, that gets pretty hot, very fast... so I usually cook on low & check for doneness. If you want your peppers softer, you can cook them longer. If you have an extra pepper that wont fit in the pot, dice it up & add to the bottom with the tomatoes or sauce. BTW, ribs come out great. I have a few other recipes I like, like bourguignon & a new one for chicken breasts stuffed w ricotta, I want to try. Hope you like ;)

Last edited:
mish said:
Stuffed pepper heaven :LOL: Thank you, kads ;)

For the couscous, I used Casbah Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil. Near East has some interesting flavors (like pine nut), I want to try. Here's a look at their products & recipes:

Near East - Rice Pilaf and Couscous
Mish,
have tried the pine nut one, very good..I did add a package of whole pine nuts that I toasted to the couscous mix and we all liked it. I like Near East best of the brands out there. I love adding some chopped or torn up fresh mint to it too. The little ones except for Ethan aren't so fond of mint. They said it's supposed to be chocolate:LOL: Ahhh the things kids say!

kadesma;)

kadesma said:
Mish,
have tried the pine nut one, very good..I did add a package of whole pine nuts that I toasted to the couscous mix and we all liked it. I like Near East best of the brands out there. I love adding some chopped or torn up fresh mint to it too. The little ones except for Ethan aren't so fond of mint. They said it's supposed to be chocolate:LOL: Ahhh the things kids say!

kadesma;)

Kads, like your idea of adding toasted pine nuts to the pine nut couscous... Not a huge mint fan, but thinking some roasted red peppers added to the couscous would be yummy too - and forget the beef :LOL:

Mish, Just got "going" with my slow cooker. It is neat to try recipes pepole have tried and liked. Looking forward to trying this one soon. Please let us know what others you try. Will be watching for them. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom