Need help ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hilary1220

Assistant Cook
A friend's mom passed away and I volunteered to make Swedish meatballs and sweet-and-sour meatballs for the after service luncheon tomorrow. My problem is timing as I need 3 hours cook time on low.
If I completely cook these meat balls during the day today, will it be OK to reheat them in the slow cooker tomorrow at the luncheon? Or should I try to cook them tomorrow morning before the viewing and service, on a higher temp for a shorter time? They will still wind up sitting in my car for about 2 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

They will be fine cooked today and reheated tomorrow at the luncheion Hilary. Keep them in the fridge tonight. It's only safe to keep food at room temp. for no more than two hours. After that, they must be eaten or refrigerated.

By the way, welcome to Discuss cooking.

You could freeze the meatballs, then put them into the slow-cooker on high and let them thaw in the sauces. Since they are pre-cooked, they will be safe heating in the sauce. Just make sure to start them early enough to heat completely. Once they are hot, reduce sow cooker to the Keep Warm setting with the lid on it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sorry Chief, gotta disagree w you on that one. Don't freeze them, they will take too long to reheat in a slow cooker imo. Of course depends on how much time is available to reheat.

I'm guessing you're in Tobyhanna, PA?

From fridge to being in your vehicle for two hours, you're fine. Keep in trunk or back of vehicle where there isn't so much heat running.

Cold meatballs take a bit of time to reheat.

I think freezing them is the way to go. They will defrost during the two hour car ride, if the car is a comfortable temperature for people. It might be the only safe way to handle this.

Thank you all for your replies. I cooked everything today and it's in the fridge overnight. When I get ready to leave in the morning I will put them in the back of my car and then after the service, get over to the house that's doing the luncheon and get them reheated. What would be the most efficient way to reheat them in the slow cooker? Again I appreciate all the assistance.

Transport your crockpot in the cold car trunk, and when you get to the house, plug in your meatball crockpot and set it on high.
You may have to stir it a couple of times and it should be reheated to serving temp within an hour or so.
It would be great if you let us know how it worked out, as we care. Good luck.

Last edited:
To Kayelle and those of you who replied. Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Both crockpots of meatballs came out perfectly, and I received so many compliments. I am really glad I found this site and that so many of you came to my aid so quickly. Thank you all and have a good night.

To Kayelle and those of you who replied. Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Both crockpots of meatballs came out perfectly, and I received so many compliments. I am really glad I found this site and that so many of you came to my aid so quickly. Thank you all and have a good night.
Glad everything worked out. How very kind of you to do that for your friend. Where I grew up, food was always what one did when a person died. I have to say I was very hurt that no one brought anything when my Mom died. A friend said, well everyone knew you were there. Yes, but I didn't want to cook. I would have really appreciated a hot dish or two. Now that you found DC, please stick around!

Glad to see everything worked out. I'm glad you went the way you did. Freezing would have been unnecessary. Meatballs are pretty forgiving for re-heating, too.

I also hope you stick around. DC is a great place to "give and take" cooking knowledge.

If you get a chance, post your recipe for Swedish meatballs. Your recipe may seem like nothing special to you, but to someone who has never made Swedish meatballs, your recipe could lead to a good meal for another DC member.

CD

Just some thoughts.

I like the idea of not waiting until the last minute. Who knows what the weather could do to your power grid. Cook the meat balls properly, let them rest, then refrigerate them overnight.

If it were me, the next morning I'd put them into the crock pot on low and begin to get them warmed up before leaving.

This would be a good time to own a 400 watt 12 volt DC to 110 volt ac inverter so you could power up the crock pot in the back of the car from the cigarette lighter while you drive. Thus with a little planning arrive with food nearly ready to eat.

Walmart sells these for less than $20 bucks.

241741e3-2379-4e66-8c7e-a6e6ede707a1_1.e91c27e4b755174198e64249555497b4.jpeg

Once again thank you all for your replies and suggestions. As per caseydog, I will find out where to post recipes and do so. And I already have another situation getting ready to happen on Friday, so I will be posting again with my new predicament! Lol

Back
Top Bottom