New slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Am taking the plunge and going to invest in a slow cooker. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for it to have or do?

Am taking the plunge and going to invest in a slow cooker. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for it to have or do?

If they still make them, I like the kind that can be removed from the heating base. That way you can put it in the fridge easier and also a dishwasher. I have one that is kind of rectangular shaped and I like that, too. You can put a big piece of uncut roast in it, rather than cutting the meat into pieces and arranging in a round slow cooker, but it's all personal preference.

I have a small 4qt. Rival crock pot thats at least 20 years old,
I wouldn't hesitate to buy that brand again. I would like the larger oval model though with the removable crock, 6 qt. I think?

Look for strong handles. I've had two slow cookers, one a GE, and the other a Crock Pot, that have had the handles break from the appliance while I was carrying something hot. It wasn't pretty either time.

I now have a Hamilton Beach Stay or Go model that has worked very well for me. It's nothing fancy, but has very strong handles, and built in clips for securing the lid to the slow cooker. That makes it much easier to carry foods to places without worring about spills while traveling.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom