No high setting on slow cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelicgirl2000

Assistant Cook
I have just brought my first slow cooker.

It's a 5 in 1 appliance with slow cooking, pressure cooking, rice cooker, soup and warming setting.

I have done my first casserole in it (red wine and beef which was fabulous) but as I look through slow cooker recipe books, many of them tell me to put certain recipes on for x number of hours on high before dropping it to low - my slow cooker choice does not have a high or low setting... what should I do? Double the high setting hours or just not use a recipe requiring high setting cooking?

What do people with no choice in temperature setting during slow cooking do?

Mine says it will be a slow cooker, but I haven't got that far with it yet. It's still new and I haven't had time to fully play with it.

The whole 5 in 1 thing .... Makes me sceptical. And it's a food safety thing about pressure cooking and slow cooking.

Okay. I get it. You don't seal the lid, then you set the temp on low or high on the control panel. Does the instruction pamphlet tell what is a low and high temp? :angel:

I wish you could see how I spelled pamphlet. You would never recognize it for what I was saying. Too early in the morning for me. I am off to see my cardiologist today. I have to convince him to write a good report on my blood pressure so I can go ahead with the cataract surgery. :angel:

Okay. I get it. You don't seal the lid, then you set the temp on low or high on the control panel. Does the instruction pamphlet tell what is a low and high temp? :angel:

I wish you could see how I spelled pamphlet. You would never recognize it for what I was saying. Too early in the morning for me. I am off to see my cardiologist today. I have to convince him to write a good report on my blood pressure so I can go ahead with the cataract surgery. :angel:

I haven't gotten to that part of learning this new gadget, I'm taking it slow since i only cook on the weekends. So far it has pressure cooked a green chili, and cooked rice and oatmeal. I'm trying it out with slow cooking next weekend with pulled pork. The rate this appliance is going, I might be able to get rid of the stove:)

Take some sage advice from someone who spent over 30 years writing stuff that no one ever reads:

When all else fails, RTFM!

Last edited:
That's silly, I read all manuals cover to cover and use them as a guide until I have it down.

That's silly, I read all manuals cover to cover and use them as a guide until I have it down.

You are an unusual soul.... :ROFLMAO:

If I send you the manual for my car will you read it and let me know how to change the time zone on the clock??

You are an unusual soul.... :ROFLMAO:

If I send you the manual for my car will you read it and let me know how to change the time zone on the clock??

Yes!

Absolutely! I know every thing about our Subaru and if I don't know it, I know which chapter discusses it.

I have just brought my first slow cooker.

It's a 5 in 1 appliance with slow cooking, pressure cooking, rice cooker, soup and warming setting.

I have done my first casserole in it (red wine and beef which was fabulous) but as I look through slow cooker recipe books, many of them tell me to put certain recipes on for x number of hours on high before dropping it to low - my slow cooker choice does not have a high or low setting... what should I do? Double the high setting hours or just not use a recipe requiring high setting cooking?

What do people with no choice in temperature setting during slow cooking do?

I'm surprised that being a 5-in-one appliance it has no high or SEAR setting. My slow cooker (crock-pot) recipes mostly call for cooking 8 hours on LOW setting. The purpose of slow cooking is to SLOW COOK all day, or all night, bringing out those wonderful savory flavors and blending them together SLOWLY. I sometimes brown my meat in a skillet on the stovetop before placing it in the slow cooker. These newer cooking appliances are meant to save you the hassle of dirtying another pan to do the browning by doing everything in one pot. I don't really understand the purpose of starting a slow cooker recipe on HIGH and then turning it to LOW unless it is to speed up the cooking process? If it was me, but it ain't, I would just cook my slow cooker recipes for 8 - 10 hours as I do in the crock-pot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom