Slow cooker time question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I'm new to slow cooking and seem to be drastically over-cooking my meals.

My cooker is a Corningware oval unit that I think is fairly new.

I put veggies on bottom, various meats on top, spices and some liquid..

turn on low. It seems to take 1 hour to come up to heat, small bubbles at the edge of liquid, top too hot to keep your hand on...

after like 3 hours I usually check the meat and by then it's just "falling apart"...

I find the meat way over done, dry and all the spice flavors are gone away, though the house smells wonderful.

I mean if after 1 hour it is all ready at what I would call a "slow simmer", I would normally only stew a chicken for like maybe 1 hour or pork ribs for say maybe 2 hours if on my stove.

My gosh, I see recipes that say "low for 8 hours"! there'd be nothing left!

I have a meat thermometer, next time I will start measuring the meat temp.

Any help?

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Could be your unit is faulty. A hunk of meat at my house takes about 8 hours to cook. Yes, it is falling apart but it is JUICY! I'm not a fan of roasts that only slice - that happens say after 5 or so hours.

A slow simmer after 1 hour is fine. Turn it down to low. It still should take a chicken longer than 1 hour. Maybe that can be your guage? Try a whole chicken next.

If I do bone-in thighs it's not so bad GB. Even a whole chicken isn't so bad. The steam really helps keep it moist. I use a broth/soy sauce/honey type mixture versus a creamy base for a whole chicken.

Yeah my problem is DW has a hard time with chicken on the bone so I almost never make it that way. Not the slow cookers fault.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom