What can I slow-cook with too many tomatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shengchieh

Assistant Cook
I have all these tomatoes from the garden. Normally my
sister would cook them up (pasta sauce, whatever) and can
them, but their family is not here for the weekend.

I use wheelchair and normally do not cook. When I do, it
is crockpot or microwave. Making pasta sauce and other
stuffs to be canned is not a good option. What can I make
that uses alot of tomatoes? Tomato soup? Chili?
Vegetable soup? Idea?

I plan to eat the riper ones raw. The less riper ones, I
want to cook (they just fall off the vine at this time of
the year). Idea?

Also, for recipes, I prefer low sugar and not high fat.

Thank for your help.

Sheng-Chieh

Could you blanch them (cut an x in them, put in boiling water a few at a time for a minute, shock in ice water, then slip the skins off), squeeze the seeds out, then put in freezer bags and freeze them? This way you can use them any time for any recipe, and not worry about them going to waste.

You may even be able to boil the water in the microwave.

Last edited:
You don't need to do anything to tomatoes to freeze them. Pull the stems off and put them in a plastic bag. When you get ready to use them, let them thaw a little and the skins will slip right off.

They will not be good for salads, but they will work well in any cooked preparation.

You can also seed and skin them and pack them into a container, freeze. I then take the block out and wrap it in 2 layers of freezer wrap. The ones I did last year were Romas--when I used them, it was if they'd come out of the garden that day. I've also done the whole tomato thing, but I liked the ones I took the time to skin and seed better.

Roasting tomatoes is a good way to use excess. Big ones can be sliced in 1/2 inch slices, smaller ones in half - sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake at about 250 for 4 hours. They can then be put in bags for the freezer or used instantly. Even not so tasty tomatoes are wonderful roasted.

I would just roast them with lots of olive oil and garlic. Or maybe make some tomato chutney, christmas is coming up (aaahhh!!) so people will appreciate a good chutney

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom