What is your Favorite Slow Cooker Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rotisserie Chicken is good with the Aluminum thingies too. :chef:

Rotisserie Chicken (Crockpot)

Serving Size : 4
Preparation Time :0:10

1 roasting chicken -- (choose one that will fit into your crock pot comfortably)
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
4 pieces aluminum foil -- (4-5) rolled into balls

Crumple up 4-5 foil pieces into balls, or wrap potatoes in foil and place at bottom of crock pot. This will keep the chicken from sitting in it's juices and will make it roast not boil. Plus, if you do it w/ potatoes, you just have to throw together a salad and you're done.

Rinse chicken and pat dry w/ paper towels. Sprinkle all over generously w/ seasoned salt.

Place on top of foil balls in crock pot or on the foil covered potatoes.

Cover and cook on HIGH (very important), for 6 hours or until chicken is done.

French Onion Soup (Crockpot)

Serving Size : 4

3 large onions -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter
6 beef bouillon cubes
4 cups hot water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 french bread slices -- toasted
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In large skillet or slow-cooking pot with browning unit, cook onions in butter until lightly browned.

In a pot, combine browned onions in butter with bouillon, water, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours.

Top each bowl with toasted French bread sprinkled with cheese. Recipe may be doubled, kept hot in slow-cooking pot, and served from pot.

My favorite slow cooker meals were baked beans and split pea soup. I had an old-school crock pot. It was ceramic, cooked low and slow, and was heavy and dense. This summer, filled with baked beans, I dropped it and cracked it in half. I haven't bothered to get a new one yet, I'm still mourning.

Baked Beans:
2 lbs dry navy beans, soaked overnight
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
SAUCE:
2 1/2 cups Boiling water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke

Drain beans. Bring to boil in a large pot of water, remove from heat and let set for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in oil and set aside. combine the remaining ingredients and set aside. When the beans are done cooking, drain and pour into a crock pot, set to high. Combine with the onions and sauce and cook on high for 4 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.

I like doing a taco soup in the slow cooker. I'll have to search for my recipe when I get home and post it. :chef:

How long do you cook the aluminum thingies to make them tender?
Much longer than the chicken itself, which is desired so they continue to support the chicken, but they will still be so tough that the recommendation is just tossing them after the chicken is done. :chef:

Potato
Carrot
Leek
Onion
(plus any other stewable veg you like, but nothing too strong)
Chicken thighs (not breasts)
Chicken stock
White wine
Cream
Fresh sage

Dice the veg, mix and layer the cooker base. Pop the thighs on top, cover with stock, set to low cooking and go to work. :chef:

20-30 minutes before serving, remove the thighs, strip them and return the meat to the pot. Thicken if necessary (add arrowroot, or just mix roughly) add finely chopped sage, a few glugs of white wine, a bit of cream. Before serving add salt to taste and serve with fresh buttered rolls. Beautiful.

My favorite slow cooker meals were baked beans and split pea soup. I had an old-school crock pot. It was ceramic, cooked low and slow, and was heavy and dense. This summer, filled with baked beans, I dropped it and cracked it in half. I haven't bothered to get a new one yet, I'm still mourning.

Baked Beans:
2 lbs dry navy beans, soaked overnight
2 medium sweet onions, chopped
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
SAUCE:
2 1/2 cups Boiling water
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp liquid smoke

Drain beans. Bring to boil in a large pot of water, remove from heat and let set for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in oil and set aside. combine the remaining ingredients and set aside. When the beans are done cooking, drain and pour into a crock pot, set to high. Combine with the onions and sauce and cook on high for 4 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.

Okay I really like the idea of this - it is from scratch at its best! I have printed the recipe and stuck it to the fridge! The ingredients that I don't have are n the shopping list. I might have to substitute the bean variety though. I am not sure I can get navy beans locally. Okay, wikipedia tells me they are aka harricot so I am fine!

Thanks all!

hmmm thinking of trying this.

Autumn Pork Chops

4 pork chops
4 small sweet potatoes or yams
4 apples (your favorite kind)
2 white or yellow onions
salt and pepper
cinnamon
brown sugar--optional
apple juice or cider

Slice onions and place in crock pot.
Slice Sweet potoes into thick slices and place on top of onions
sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar and salt if desired
Trim fat from pork chops and place on top of potatoes..salt and pepperas you see fit.
place sliced apples ( with or with out skin) on top of chops
sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon if desired
pour in apple juice or cider to cover 1/3 of the mixture.

set crock pot on high for 2 hours then to low to finish. Will take a good 3 hours or more. Depending on how full the pot is. You may need to experiment with your crockpot size and fullness.

I use the slow cooker for stews, curries and the most of all, for pot roasts. I am going to cook roast beef today. I will seal the joint in a frying pan first in some oil then transfer the beef into the slow cooker to cook slowly.
it is hussle free way of cooking and the meat is tender too.

Favorite in the Crock Pot

fahriye....that is what I like to cook too. Tim, I printed your baked bean recipe. Would like to try it. I raise pole beans in my garden and let a bunch stay on the vine to dry. These beans are now ready to be dried and used for baked beans. They are now sitting in my pantry in a glass jar.

Thanks for the recipe. Am going to try. One direction I am not sure....open the slow cooker? I always thought this should NOT be done?
You disturb the cooking process. Who knows? I am going to try your recipe and NOT open the pot. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Aria

One direction I am not sure....open the slow cooker? I always thought this should NOT be done?
You disturb the cooking process. Who knows?
This is generally true, but it is not a hard and fast rule. Recipes can be written were opening the lid is taken into account.

Crockpot Chocolate Fudge Cake

If you have two crockpots, while your main dish is cooking, prepare dessert in your other crockpot.

Crockpot Chocolate Fudge Cake

1 Chocolate Fudge Cake mix
1 small box chocolate fudge pudding
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup oil
1 3/4 cup very hot water

Grease sides of Crockpot, turn on low heat. In separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients; pour this into the Crockpot. Mix oil and water and carefully pour over cake mixture. Do not stir. Bake for 4 hours on low. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Lamb and Lentil Soup Recipe - Lentil Soup Recipe with Lamb Shanks for Crockpot or Slow Cooker

I use 4 lamb shanks, a bag of lentils and one large bunch of Swiss chard. Verrrrrrry hearty stew!

Babe, your bean soup sounds fantastic! I love all you put in it! I think I'll try that with a bag of assorted dry beans and the bone from my smoked shoulder. Do you put raw or cooked barley in?

Lee

not sure if i answered this or not, i put the barley in raw. it absorbs the flavor of ham and they broth. only use one half of a cup, it really puffs a lot.

Chili Verde. I just made this for the first time and it came out great. I found boneless pork shoulder roasts on sale for .99/lb and bought one that was about 3 lbs. I cut most of the fat off, and rendered it in a big skillet. While the fat was rendering, I cut the pork into bite size pieces. Then I browned the pork in the rendered fat and put it into the slow cooker. I poured a large can of chili verde sauce over the pork, put the lid on and cooked it on low for about 8 hours. I made a slurry of corn starch and cold water and added it to thicken the sauce. You can serve it in a bowl like a stew, or in flour tortillas with sour cream, salsa, green onions and grated jack cheese for burritos, or use corn tortillas and make enchiladas. It was easy and delicious.

Slowcooker Mean Black Bean Soup

Love the original from the back of a Rotel can. So quick and easy. This time I threw all the ingredients into the crockpot without sauteeing the carrots, onion, and celery and tweaked the recipe a bit.

2 cans Rotel (I used Habanero and Cilantro lime), undrained
1 big can black beans, undrained
1/2 C. each chopped carrots, celery, onion
1 C. frozen corn
1 tsp.Chicken boullion (I used Better Than Boullion)
Small piece of ham, chopped (can omit)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 or 2 C. water
Chopped cilantro to taste

Throw everything but cilantro into slow cooker on high for a couple hours, then low for awhile, till vegs are tender. Stir in cilantro. Serve garnished with shredded cheddar, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. This freezes well. About 8 servings.

Max Sutton said:
:chef: I use my crockpot for stews and soups.

My favorite stew is a traditional beef stew that I've tweaked about a dozen times. :chef:

My favorite soup is my chicken-noodle soup.:chef:

I know this was posted a long time ago but I was wondering if you would share your recipe for your beef stew?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom