Another newbie here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittycat

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone! I'm new in here but have been cooking (for fun) for a number of years. I tried searching for discussions based upon taquitos. Main question is when can these be frozen? Before they're baked or after they're baked? Any special instructions on freezing them? They're for my daughter (in college) and I don't want her to have to make a bunch up at a time--just 3 or so at a time.

Welcome to DC, Cathy from Wisconsin... :)

You may get a variety of views but, I just roll and wrap servings for the freezer.. Bake as I need to eat them..

In the past, I bought Costco's big box of 36 and took out what I needed at the time.. Home made, of course, is better...

Ross

How do you wrap them up? Do you put saran wrap over each or wax paper? I'm afraid they would stick to each other if I didn't wrap them with something?

How do you wrap them up? Do you put saran wrap over each or wax paper? I'm afraid they would stick to each other if I didn't wrap them with something?

I wrap with a cling type product, I buy at Costco. 2000 Ft roll. Wrap how ever many you wish to bake at one time. I vacuum pack mine but, Freezer bags work well too..

Ross

Thank you!

Thanks, GotGarlic. My two and two weren't coming out to four. :LOL:

Ross,
It sounds as if you're referring to a freezer wrap and then vacuum sealing it to create a double protection. That's what I usually do as well but most places don't sell freezer wrap anymore. I doubt I'd use up 2000 sf of freezer wrap either. When my daughter graduates I don't think she's really looking at staying around here. And then it's cooking for one which I seldom feel like doing. Back around 10 years ago, I believe it was presto products that was around here and had a "store" for items that didn't go to stores. I could get it cheap there but that's no longer in place.

Thanks, GotGarlic. My two and two weren't coming out to four. :LOL:

Ross,
It sounds as if you're referring to a freezer wrap and then vacuum sealing it to create a double protection. That's what I usually do as well but most places don't sell freezer wrap anymore. I doubt I'd use up 2000 sf of freezer wrap either. When my daughter graduates I don't think she's really looking at staying around here. And then it's cooking for one which I seldom feel like doing. Back around 10 years ago, I believe it was presto products that was around here and had a "store" for items that didn't go to stores. I could get it cheap there but that's no longer in place.

Sorry I wasn't more clear... I was only stating my procedure..

I didn't mean that you needed to buy 2000 ft of cling wrap.. However small a box suits you.. I vacuum seal all things I freeze.You, of course, don't have to have a vacuum sealer... You may use freezer bags, such as Ziplock..

Count out a serving size, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, place into freezer bag, freeze..

Ross

Hello everyone! I'm new in here but have been cooking (for fun) for a number of years. I tried searching for discussions based upon taquitos. Main question is when can these be frozen? Before they're baked or after they're baked? Any special instructions on freezing them? They're for my daughter (in college) and I don't want her to have to make a bunch up at a time--just 3 or so at a time.
Hi Cathy, welcome to DC!
Vacuum packing is a great way to go, if you’ve got the equipment. If you don’t, try wrapping each uncooked taquito in wax paper, packing them tightly in a freezer storage bag, then removing the air by submerging the bag in a pot of water. Leave a little tick of an opening at the top, keep your finger in it while you submerge the bag and press out the air. Seal up the little tick while the bag is submerged. Voila! Vacuum packed! Well, sort of…

Back
Top Bottom